SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 660 - The Polar Ring - When Galaxies collide

PatrickGilliland

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Thanks - I am happy so far :) There is always something that can be improved but then again sometimes I am just as likely to break it!

Paddy

Improvements are always possible, that's how we move forward, but it is a great image.

22 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

Excellent Paddy.

The large image is awesome. :icon_salut:

Thank You

17 hours ago, evansg said:

Very very nice result. The background, the star color and the galaxy detail is great!

Thanks for comment.

15 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Improvements are always possible, that's how we move forward, but it is a great image.

Cheers - some 1200 sec subs on route too, be interesting to see what impact that has when i get around to it.

On 23/11/2016 at 21:56, PatrickGilliland said:

Thanks Richard, strictly speaking in cosmological terms it was colliding right then, the process will likely take hundreds of millions of years to sort out a galactic mess.  All sort going on in there from superclusters hidden by dust emitting masses of radio signals too, as recently as 2012 massive  outbursts 10x more powerful than a supernova have been recorded possibly thought to be a massive jet streaming from the galaxies black hole.  Glad you enjoyed and thanks for the feedback.  Paddy

Hah, yes that old space time conundrum. What we see now happened years and years ago

I went to the Prof. Brian Cox talk on Cosmology this week and he covered this amongst many other things which in part educated me and at times, blew my mind. Well worth it if you get the chance. 

2 hours ago, cfpendock said:

That is a truly spectacular image, Paddy, and very well processed.  But I am not sure what scope you used?

Chris

This was taken on the 14.5" RCOS - thanks for the comments lot of time went into processing this one :) 

Paddy

3 hours ago, RSM said:

Hah, yes that old space time conundrum. What we see now happened years and years ago

I went to the Prof. Brian Cox talk on Cosmology this week and he covered this amongst many other things which in part educated me and at times, blew my mind. Well worth it if you get the chance. 

I have been to some of his sessions and that of others.  I am soon to start a degree shortly on Astronomy and Planetary Sciences but torn between that and cosmology (although remote learning harder to find for that).  It is one of those topics that just when you think you have it figured something comes along and causes you to rethink it all again.

Will check out if the Prof has anything local to me as well no harm going again :)

Paddy

Archived