SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 660 - The Polar Ring - When Galaxies collide

PatrickGilliland

Hi All

Here is my offering for the week.  Started to collect some RGB  data here on this during last new moon but had no time to collect Lum so mixed it up with the 14.5" RCOS lum data @DSW (Total 11.1 hours LRGB)

Spent two weeks and nearly 40 versions trying to get it all right.  Probably not there yet but a close as i can get without going nuts.

NGC660 FInal Large.png

Will likely have another go at it when RCOS RGB is available but C&C welcomed.

Paddy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, gnomus said:

To paraphrase what I said on Astrobin - breathtaking, Paddy.

Thanks Steve - appreciated.

40 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

There must be buried treasure there... X marks the spot!

Superb image Paddy.

Typical find the treasure and have no way of getting to it! Always a sang isn't there!  Thanks for comments.

20 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

stunning Paddy, proberly the biggish crash anybody will witness. well done.  thanks, charl.

Certainly up there!  Events on a scale we struggle to comprehend, thankfully the universe put at a distance that helps us take it in.  Thanks for comments.

15 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Woah!

It took a wile before the full size fully loaded, but it was worth the wait. This image is of exceptional quality and of rare beauty!

Yes was going to compress but then it felt like an injustice so just went with the full version.   Appreciate generous comments.

5 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

This is a stunning image, Paddy -  well done!

Thanks Steve - appreciate the comments.  Well done on the recent APOD as well

Paddy

2 hours ago, johnrt said:

Superb Paddy, a really, really fine image.

2 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

That's something special Paddy :) the full-res image is well worth the download!

ChrisH

Thanks John and Chris - probably my best to date.  Appreciate the comments

2 hours ago, Rodd said:

It looks right to me Paddy.  

Thanks

2 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Phenomenal image, more than well worth the effort.

Thank you John.

1 hour ago, simmo39 said:

V nice.

Thank you.

48 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

A really cracking image Paddy, low here for the UK.  Excellent find and processing.

Thanks Barry - I can get >35 degrees here for quite a few hours a night and my southern horizon at the Obs is about -5 degrees and dark which really helps.  Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks all appreciate the comments, very generous.

Paddy

1 hour ago, RSM said:

Mighty fine image. Love the close up detail, almost looks like it's colliding right now. Thanks for the inspiration. Richard

Thanks Richard, strictly speaking in cosmological terms it was colliding right then, the process will likely take hundreds of millions of years to sort out a galactic mess.  All sort going on in there from superclusters hidden by dust emitting masses of radio signals too, as recently as 2012 massive  outbursts 10x more powerful than a supernova have been recorded possibly thought to be a massive jet streaming from the galaxies black hole.  Glad you enjoyed and thanks for the feedback.  Paddy

All kind of awesomes, Paddy!

I'm really starting to reconsider my options of a local Obsy at sea-level with LP, against the outlay of a remotely hosted data hoover. I absolutely adore the process of hands on sub collection: However, until I retire, I am stuck with skies that are only clear 15-20% of the time and also give around 100 times more sky noise than I recently had at La Palma.

10 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

All kind of awesomes, Paddy!

I'm really starting to reconsider my options of a local Obsy at sea-level with LP, against the outlay of a remotely hosted data hoover. I absolutely adore the process of hands on sub collection: However, until I retire, I am stuck with skies that are only clear 15-20% of the time and also give around 100 times more sky noise than I recently had at La Palma.

Yes always a challenge - I feel more affinity with data I have collected but then having x,000's of pounds worth of gear sitting around doing nothing most of the time is hard to resolve.  Thanks for kind words.  Paddy

9 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

That's a beautiful object! Love all the surrounding galaxies round about and love the colour too!

Louise

Thanks Louise - I am quite sad but I did try to count all the galaxies in the full size image.  Decided I best stop when I found myself having a inner monologue debate about whether it's a fuzzy star or a galaxy!  I got up well over 100 that can be made out though.

Paddy

Oh my word Paddy but that's something else again!

Anyone living there must be having a torrid few million years, if, that is, anything *could* survive a crash like that. We'll find out ourselves in 3-4 billion years when we have our own crash with Andromeda. That'll be a spectacle for those in nearby galaxies to watch! Be on their equivalent of the Arp catalogue.

It's an incredible image Paddy, and all credit to you, especially for the excellent "touch & feel" that you undoubtedly have with processing. The full size version is an absolute joy to view in terms of resolution, clarity, palette - and of course the sheer number of those eye-popping and colourful tiny galaxies everywhere!

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

Oh my word Paddy but that's something else again!

Anyone living there must be having a torrid few million years, if, that is, anything *could* survive a crash like that. We'll find out ourselves in 3-4 billion years when we have our own crash with Andromeda. That'll be a spectacle for those in nearby galaxies to watch! Be on their equivalent of the Arp catalogue.

Thanks Dave - things would survive which I find amazing.  Though maybe not as we know it!  Stars are so far apart they could pass each other by in many cases and as the universe tends to it will sort itself out in time.  Not all of them though and I bet there a some events on a cosmic scale yet to be viewed.  Thanks for the compliments.

1 hour ago, Martin-Devon said:

It's an incredible image Paddy, and all credit to you, especially for the excellent "touch & feel" that you undoubtedly have with processing. The full size version is an absolute joy to view in terms of resolution, clarity, palette - and of course the sheer number of those eye-popping and colourful tiny galaxies everywhere!

Hi Martin, good to hear from you.  Was going to send you an email soon as it's been a while.   Thanks for the feedback, I'll share some credit with you as your early guidance set me on the right path.  Hope you are well, drop me a mail.  

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Lovely image Paddy,  if it's not quite there yet it must be damn close. I think you've nailed the sky shade and the star colours are spot on. 

Bravo

It's close but never there :) some minor star matching issues and I am convinced I can do a little better.  But then I have felt like that for two weeks and not much difference in all the versions.

Thanks for feedback all, Paddy

Archived