NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro APO

Hi all. Thinking of getting a new 'frac in the new year, and looking at the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro APO refractor. My query is that the stated highest practical power for this scope is 240x. As normally the stated highest practical power is 2 x the lens diameter (in mm) for a normal APO this would give only a maximum of 160x. Is the 240x stated for this scope on the 365 Astronomy site correct at all? Any input from anyone who owns one and can shed some light would be great.

Thanks,

Gus

http://www.365astronomy.com/SkyWatcher-Evostar-80ED-DS-PRO-Fluorite-ED-APO-Refractor-OTA.html

24 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

There is no reason why a decent 80mm APO shouldn't stand 240X, it would have limited application though, mostly lunar and tight double stars during exceptional seeing. The 160X would be a more regularly used maximum.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Peter. Would mainly be intending to use it for lunar, planetary and double stars mostly anyway. :) 

7 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Agree - around 160x for planets in good seeing - remarkably good performer at this level of magnification

Cheers. Good to know. :) 

50 x aperture in inches or 2 x aperture in mm is just a guide, of course, a line has to be drawn somewhere but so much depends on the seeing conditions. Around x150 magnification is a reasonable approximation for maximum magnification with this telescope but always remember this is just a guide - it's always worth pushing things to see what can be achieved, you'll soon know when you have gone too far.

19 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

50 x aperture in inches or 2 x aperture in mm is just a guide, of course, a line has to be drawn somewhere but so much depends on the seeing conditions. Around x150 magnification is a reasonable approximation for maximum magnification with this telescope but always remember this is just a guide - it's always worth pushing things to see what can be achieved, you'll soon know when you have gone too far.

Yes, I've also gone past the theoretical limit on my 120mm & my 102mm 'fracs before. Not many times, but a few. 

Archived