Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

image too big best way to make smaller

iwols

it basically says that a x33 reducer is ok for very small sensors , on larger format you will suffer from terrible vignetting , after some research people found the .5 reducer could work depending on your scope and sensor size , ideally you should stick to a matched reducer for your scope otherwise you could introduce unwanted artifacts. Other methods of increasing FOV is to use camera lenses instead of a scope or to invest in a shorter focal length scope , in any case the M31 is a very large target and would require a focal length of 300-400 max to get any where close to framing it . Another method would be to create a mosaic  If I am off the mark I am sure someone will correct me HTH  

What you have discovered is that it takes more than one scope / camera combo to capture all there is to see in the heavens, the ED80 is about middling, as said camera lenses do a good job of wide field and long focal length scopes do a good job of teeny things or close ups of big things.

Bit of a generalisation but you get the idea.

Dave

I've only just started with sgpro so havent used the mosaic yet though it looks very promising. regardless of that,mosaics are the way to go with a small chip. this is 8 panes using false colour. 414ex/80ED/0.8 reducerVeil_HAHA0.jpg

Archived