Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar Alignment Help.

Hi All, I have a 200p on an EQ5 - but today I ordered two motors for it with a hand control.

My aim is to do some tracking to get used to it and take a few pics with an old EOS 400D - see if I can get the Pleiades.

So before my motors arrive, I thought I'd better get out and learn how to align it to the pole star as best I can.  Hurdles hit right away - its so dam dark I cant see a thing through the polar scope.

Ive set the angle to 53 degrees (stockport uk) but honestly I cant see a thing but blackness.  I know its fine as I looked through it in the light.

Do I need a laser or something to help me as I really dont think I want to be kneeling on the wet grass all night and not even managing to locate the pole star.

Any Tips appreciated.

Cheers

I think the answer is that you need to shine a suitably dim light (Red) into the polar scope, exactly how I have no idea as to my thinking your head should be in the way. Maybe hold the light source at the top end.

At Rother Valley you can buy an illuminator: http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-polarscope-illuminator-for-eq3-2-and-eq5-mounts.html

Another £22 however. The 365Astro one looks good but is £40.

People have built their own, with a battery and red LED, however I expect this means drilling a hole into the polar scope somewhere. Maybe a post on the DIY section will get a response. I suspect that to not drill a hole means buying one as linked and effectively making a copy, just pointless as you would then have 2. Try the DIY section first.

Polar scopes and equitorials mean kneeling on wet grass, and the occasional yoga position.

As Ronin has said an illuminator is required but its quite easy to make one I used a plastic pill bottle that fitted into the end of the mount and cut the end off and drilled a small hole for a red LED. Lying on the grass to look through the polar scope is easily solved with a RA DSLR viewfinder like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagull-aumento-cámaras-Minolta-Olympus/dp/B004CGE90U is held against the scope.

Alan

Don't forget you have to turn part that holds the dovetail to open up the view through the polar scope....and take the cap off of course!

and have you made sure it's in focus because you can focus a polar scope.

also don't assume because you are at 53 degrees and you have set the mount at 53 degrees that you will be set up right....I'm at 53 deg and I don't even use the markers I look through the polar scope and set it up as I'm looking through it.....it's easier if you put a sheet of some sort on the floor and sit down on it with your legs under the tripod....loads better than kneeling down and cricking your neck.

I simply put my small red light at the exit of the polar scope, with an angle, to illuminate inside the mounts polar axis (or any small light from the dollar store will do has a matter of fact). With a little bit of light inside towards the polarscope it's possible to see the star patterns, then I can adjust the mount with the pivot + up and down. If the polarscope is out of focus, you will see nothing clearly, turn the lens until it's clear.

And you have to rotate the declinason axis of the mount to see through the scope. lol  That's how I figured how WHY everything was black.

The polarscope has to be calibrated with the mount, otherwise it's not going to track well, they have videos on youtube to learn how to do that.

(: hope this helps.

Cheers all - next clear night I will try a light and waterproof picnic blanket.  The making of the little lamp there makes me curious - but I have zero "fiddle" time at the moment - but would definitely like to try that.

Oh - I can confirm the scope is open !!!!!  My declination is rotated clearing the scopes view  :) - although I admit - when I first got the scope I didnt know that and thought "what the hell - nothing ever works these days" duh!! 

Regarding the illuminator, some years ago simple ones were made using a section of 32mm waste pipe and Maplins Red 3mm Led, which can be wired direct to any 12V DC supply, as they have a built in resistor. The code No I have for these is ... Standard brightness code CJ 66W or High brightness code CJ70M. These No's should be verified in case they have now changed :)

Archived