Why we could do with a new forum in imaging.

Nigel G

In my opinion current imaging forum categorization is not ideal. Forums related to imaging have overlapping areas and people are not sure where to post.

Rather than having more forums, I think we should have less. In my opinion imaging forums should focus on: the tools, the technique and the results.

I would prefer to see the following:

Imaging - Hardware
Imaging - Capturing Techniques
Imaging - Processing Techniques
The various imaging showcasing forums (planetary, deep sky etc).

Trying to further slice and dice by hardware, budget etc. will result in information being scattered around. Historical searches are not really a problem thanks to Google, people reading the forums on a daily basis however will find more difficult to switch across more forums rather than less.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The unconvinced need to look at Gina's image here:

Ha narrowband and just 1-minute subs - that could have been taken on an Alt-Az or EQ3 mount and given similar results. Admittedly a snazzy new camera, but this is the way things are going.

Worth looking at the comments lower down too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have posted our thoughts and views and members of SGL have had time to read and digest them along with the Admin on the site. At this time removed what decision(s) have the Admin come to regarding the promotion of Alt-Az imaging on the forum? Thanking you in anticipation.

Cheers,
Steve

• 2 months later...

The no EQ DSO challenge is over 101 pages now and very difficult to find old references.

If a new thread is started can it be pinned to the top of a forum ? If so how.

Still not ideal but would be better than the current situation.

Nige.

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Could we start a thread on techniques for processing short-exposure images for the Alt-Azers and others limited to about 2 minutes max?

Nothing to stop you starting a thread on that Neil.

Archived