Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Startling skies.

cotterless45

Just a few hours edge of town before the moonglow. Revisited those targets enjoyed from very dark skies. M27 glowed , but the great star fields weren't there. M33 was there just a dim fuzz. NGC 881 wasn't there at all !

It was when I came to Perseus that star fields in the background appeared. Miriam (η Persie) is just stunning for colour, the bright orange primary perfectly setting off the cobaly bud companion. It's a really beautiful sight, find it as the dim star at the top of Perseus nearest to the double cluster.

Trying the sky conditions, I had no trouble getting to my "tester" , 36 Andromeda opening up the 1.1" cleanly up to x240 up to x300. This stood well with Σ314 in Perseus at 1.5" showing a lovely bright pair . 20 Perseus showed the wonderful delicate companion even at x50. A lovely ghostly sight. As is Σ331. 

There was little doing in Auriga with sky brightness, except for the sight of the triple  , Bogardus. With so few stars by eye, it's quite startling what a frac will find under 

clear skies !

old Nick.

Well done Nick nice session. It was clear here, capturing spectra with my grating but then went visual and spent time on M56 and M57 and the open clusters in Cygnus.  Lots of hanging moisture though and the North Sea sent its clouds by midnight.

Nice report Nick. Well done! :) Managed to get just over an hour observing last night before clouds spoiled the view. Bagged Neptune, which was my main target last night. M57 and M27 were very clear, along with some globulars too, but still need to try 36 Andromeda myself in my scope, so hopefully may zoom in on it tonight if skies allow.  

A nicer target for the early morning is iota Cancri, some have it as a double, but there's a lovely close companion to be tickled our. It caused great amusement last SGL, when seasoned observers couldn't get the third element, but those unused to looking said "there's three stars there !" It's easy to find and a delight to go from this to the undervisited M 67,

Nick.

8 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

A nicer target for the early morning is iota Cancri, some have it as a double, but there's a lovely close companion to be tickled our. It caused great amusement last SGL, when seasoned observers couldn't get the third element, but those unused to looking said "there's three stars there !" It's easy to find and a delight to go from this to the undervisited M 67,

Nick.

Thanks Nick. I'll check that over too. Weird that the seasoned observers didn't spot the third companion. Normally the other way around where the newbies fail to recognise an object because of lack of experience viewing.

12 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Sorry mate, should have been the exotic Tegmine ( Zeta Cancri ) ! Phew , thought my memory cells had given up, again !

Old Nick.

OK, thanks Nick. I wondered why SkySafari was only showing two stars but now I know! :) 

4 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Nick.

I will have another look at that because I can only recall two stars and I think I have visited more than once, one of the big Dob. Goes without saying, nice report, oh I said it. 

Alan

Archived