Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Free Standing Pier/Pillar Suggestions

gnomus

I'd like to press my CGEM back into operation for visual use and perhaps a bit of solar/lunar/planetary imaging with video.  I could build something out of concrete, but I would prefer to have some free standing solution that I could move around occasionally, for the odd 'event'.  I would want to leave the pier plus mount set up outside semi-permanently.  I would take the telescope off after use.  I would put a bin or similar plus a waterproof cover over the pier plus mount combo.

I have seen a couple of DIY versions which look pretty good.  I am no DIYer, but I know a guy .....  so some ideas as to dimension, materials etcetera would be helpful.

Then today I noticed that there is a Skywatcher Pillar/Pier.  It looked close to what I wanted and was only ~£200, which is probably not much more than having someone make one for me.  Has anyone used one of these, and if so what do you reckon to it?  Would I be able to put my CGEM on the NEQ version?  And how would the pillar stand up to the UK weather?

Scopes to be used would be an AA 152, an Edge HD 8", and an ED80.

Thanks in advance.

Some / most ready made ones have a rather small base that requires bolting down so not very easy to move round the garden.

I welded one up with three legs that I used freestanding while I mulled over where to stick it permanently.

Can't you just use a tripod ?

Dave

10Micron-on-pier.png

Rock solid and being able to move around the garden, doesn't generally come under the same spec. I have a 6" refractor, 8.5" refractor and a 16" SCT  all mounted on "Todmorden" design free standing concrete block piers. Cheap and quick to make but not exactly portable.  :icon_biggrin: 

It doesn't have to be that rock solid or that portable.  But something that would be retain a reasonable polar alignment between sessions and could withstand using a 'Last Alignment' setting on the CGEM handset would be fine.  I'd prefer something a bit more solid than the tripod - something that would resist the labrador a bit better.  

I image from my observatory, but bought one of those AA 152 jobbies from the IAS last weekend, so I thought I'd stick it on the CGEM.  I'd forgotten what a nuisance it was setting up and tearing down.  I'd also forgotten how the CGEM menu worked!

2 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Do you leave the tripod and mount permanently set up out there in all weathers Davey?

Yes, all aligned, got a custom made cover that covers the scope as well and clips to the legs about a foot of the ground so if some solar imaging looks possible I can leave the scope on overnight or  just plonk the scope on and away you go.

Dave

8 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

I'm looking at something like the following to wheel out of a small shed. It might be of interest?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-pillar-mount-support-for-heq5-eq6-series-mounts.html

These were £189 until the other day, Skywatcher and Atik prices have rocketed :(

Yes Chris that is the thing I was asking about. 

Archived