Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

newspaper article

jaygpoo

Stargazing, to any real detail, in cities has been impossible for some time. Even in small "cities" like Ely stargazing is difficult, in bigger ones like London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Edingburgh, Bristol, Exetewr, Plymouth etc it has been impossible for years.

May actually be getting better but it would be owing to cost as a number of places are not turning off lights at midnight and it helps. I am in one that does and after midnight there is a reasonable change. It seems not to be owing to a decision to reduce the general ight levels.

OK, you've set me off. I wondered about writing anything about this but your post seems to be pointing me in that direction:

I am coming to the end of a week's holiday in a cottage in far NW Scotland, in probably as dark a site as is possible in the UK. I have my scope but have managed only two very short sessions due to cloud (oh and gale force wind, too, earlier in the week). I can live with that; I'm Scots and I know Scotland.

But here's the thing - what we on SGL refer to as insecurity lighting. There are nine(!) houses in this hamlet. Nobody locks their door. Security is not an issue. But they have lights on outside to let them see where they are going; where the car door is; where the refuse bucket is. I'm not sure. But the light(s) don't get switched off until, perhaps (and I mean perhaps), the good folks retire to bed.

There is one house in particular that highlights (hah!) the situation. It is not in this hamlet but is a few miles down the road. It stands alone about a mile from its nearest neighbour and it's illuminated like a prison exercise yard. Two powerful lights both front and back and one similarly blinding extravaganza on each gable end! 

So what's going on? We're supposed to be energy conscious. It's supposed to be times of austerity. I know I'm preaching to the already converted and also that not everybody wants to 'gawp at the sky' but this broad acceptance of 'light is good, dark is bad' must have seeped into our souls.

Och! Rant over.

Of course I agree and I'm not seeking to underplay this important problem in any way, ...but (and a big but), city observing ain't "impossible".

Now, I'm not setting up in, say, Oxford St - tho am increasingly tempted to take the ST80 to my work there, up on the roof :)  ***  -  but I've seen from my weeny light polluted backyard, lessee....M57, 27, 13, 81/2, 38,36,37 and a few other M's plus the usual easy glories ( Orion Neb, Beehive, Double Cluster,  et al) and all the planets excepting ( thus far) Neptune and Pluto (er...). Not to mention of course our nearest and dearest which is simply splendid. I've not managed some of course (cough, M101) but hey ho.

(***And where do the Baker St Irregulars meet? Heh, Regents Park!)

Still a lot to see and revel in up/out there, even from our orange/pink/yellow city skies. So don't give up, SGLcitycitizens - especially new stargazers who don't have the benefit of dark home sites! Lots of astro wonder and learning for even us 24 hour party people :)

It's such a shame that light pollution has invaded our skies by folk who are so very afraid of darkness. We were just out of Dunvegan, I couldn't believe that they had three rows of streetlights on all night , very bright campsite lights and house outdoor lights. However away from there,IMG_6712.JPGIMG_6715.JPG

It really pays to enjoy these places, but returning home pick out the brighter targets that you can enjoy. I think remote communities relying on tourism are missing out on dark sky status which could encourage visitors. 

old Nivk.

I can't decide at whom that article was aimed when it was written.

I certainly cannot think of any of my neighbours who would express the slightest concern over a reduction in the number of pea aphids. As a closing argument, I feel that leaves something to be desired.

31 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Oh no ! Pea aphids may be on the endangered list .

As my runner beans have been decimated by aphids this year do you think it would help if I left a 500 watt security light shining on them all night ? :grin:

Dave

has anyone read the novel "Nightfall"? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_(Asimov_novelette_and_novel)

It's about a planet that orbits 6 suns (it didn't go into the orbital mechanics of it, don't ask), and never experiences darkness (well, very rarely as that's the point of the story). Imagine trying to do astronomy (except solar) on that planet.

anyway, no real point to be made, It's just a really interesting book that makes you think about the dark when you've never experienced it before.

Well that got you going!!!!!.. Talking about street lights. I have one right by the side of my garden but on talking with a street lighting guy that came to check them over I voiced my disappointment at having that light on until 12pm every night for the last 4 years. Ah he said your one of many astronomyers that ask that question and the answer is simple. He asked me if I had any long nosed pliers and to get them. Then I was shown how to remove the lower cover of the light and remove the fuse. Problem solved. Just have to remeber to replace the fuse the next day. So now when I see a good night coming out goes the light !!!!!!!!!!  happy days

Archived