Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Newbie!

Hi everyone 

I have just joined!

I am looking to start a little astronomy , its something I have always fancied and now is the time to take the plunge.

I am sure you have many posts like this asking about which kit to buy, I haven't just joined and posted without doing a little of the work myself, however I seem to have only confused myself even more after spending a long time last night reading through many posts on this page.

I am completely new to this, and I am looking to buy a set up, and would be grateful for your advice.

My Budget is flexible, I was thinking up to £500 but happy to go over for the right set up, also be happy to spend less if it gets me a set up to suit.

I work away from home during the week in a motorhome and I thought this would be an ideal hobby to take up to keep me occupied on the lonely nights away from home, I am therefore looking for something as quick and easy as possible to set up and also something not too hard to use, bearing in mind I will often be in different locations.

unfortunately I am the type of person who if its too much of a "faff" to set up I probably will not bother, (I know this isn't a good attitude to have but I am just trying to be honest)

I would also like something i can use at home at the weekend with my 5 year old daughter who shows a fascinated interest in everything! especially chocolate.

After reading many of the posts last night, I was going towards the Heritage 130p after reading so many good things about it, however the lack of a tripod is putting me off, I am not sure how I would cope when away in the van during the week!

I also have a pretty good Nikon DSLR camera which I don't use much, (don't know how to if I am honest! lol) but I am wondering if this can be incorporated into the kit for some images at a later stage? 

So in summary budget not a huge issue for the right set up, ease of use and quick and easy set up is very important 

I am hoping you could give me some advice, and thank you very much for taking the time to read this and your patience with N00bs like me!

Pete

How about a nice 4 or 5 inch refractor on an alt-az mount?  Dead easy to set up, swing it round the sky (inc. overhead/zenith), short and portable, and lovely wide views of starfields.  

You can "hop" to targets with the help of Stellarium or the Pocket Sky Atlas.

Doug.

Hello and welcome to SGL. 

You have two choices IMO , maybe a refractor(lens) which will be smaller and no collimation to worry about, so maybe a Skywatcher evostar 120 which would be a nice introduction 

Or a reflector (mirror) which will be a bigger and you need to collimation on these now and again and a skywatcher 150p newt would be a good starting aperture IMO

Either of these could be sat on a AZ mount (easy to set up and up and down side to side to locate and track)

Or an EQ mount which takes more precise location direction to set up and is not quite as flexible as the AZ but better for Astro photography at a later date

I hope the above helps☺

14 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. 

You have two choices IMO , maybe a refractor(lens) which will be smaller and no collimation to worry about, so maybe a Skywatcher evostar 120 which would be a nice introduction 

Or a reflector (mirror) which will be a bigger and you need to collimation on these now and again and a skywatcher 150p newt would be a good starting aperture IMO

Either of these could be sat on a AZ mount (easy to set up and up and down side to side to locate and track)

Or an EQ mount which takes more precise location direction to set up and is not quite as flexible as the AZ but better for Astro photography at a later date

I hope the above helps☺

Thank you for the reply, the skywatcher sounds better if there is no collimation (I must be honest here and say i don't know what that means, but guessing it means more set up time)  however is there any disadvantage to this system in comparison to the 150p?

I am guessing this is the 150p https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html  ?

it seems like it comes with a mount? or is the AZ mount different? sorry I am not sure about the terminology or what the mount will give me?

45 minutes ago, Peewee_Pete said:

Thank you for the reply, the skywatcher sounds better if there is no collimation (I must be honest here and say i don't know what that means, but guessing it means more set up time)  however is there any disadvantage to this system in comparison to the 150p?

I am guessing this is the 150p https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html  ?

it seems like it comes with a mount? or is the AZ mount different? sorry I am not sure about the terminology or what the mount will give me?

Hello. Collimation to keep it simple is basically alignment of the primary and secondary mirrors so it produces a correct image at the eyepiece. Because a mirror is used in a reflector form time to time(especially in scope is knocked) the mirrors go out of alignment and need to be adjusted (collimation) this is a bit slow process when your a newbie☺ but once the mirror is alignment checking takes a matter of a few minutes. If you wish a more detailed explanation then look at Astro baby guide on collimation on the web.

The refractor set up is a simpler way to observe as no collimation to worry about (unless you drop the scope, then you will have problems)

So refractor, glass lens at front , no collimation to worry about, but as it is an achromat(at your price point, unless you think about second hand) it will suffer from CA on moon etc,  to get away without this you need a Apo refractor,  but these are a lot more money. I hope you are following☺

As for the flo link you have posted as far as I can see this is a 150p reflector(mirrors) on a eq mount, basically an eq mount helps to track by allowing for the earth's rotation( this is a very simplified explanation) but eq mounts need more set up time and can be more frustrating to set up to a newbie .

The same scope 150p is also available if I remember from FLO on an AZ4 mount. This is a very simple mount to use, put it on ground connection of scope then away you go. Up down and side to side movement. Very very simple but effective.

If you want no collimation and quick and easy to use then a refractor (such as a evostar 120) on a AZ 4 mount.

If you want a bit more aperture and CA issue less then the 150p(mirrors) on AZ 4 mount, but this scope needs collimation from time to time.

If you want a mount for Astro photography then the eq is the way to go , but more set up required, can be frustrating for newbies 

I hope the above helps and you are still following?.??. Thanks 

I think I am following, 

So buy this one if I don't mind the collimation bit?   https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-az4-mount.html  

If I want one that doesn't need the collimation  but basically not as good image quality?  then I need one of these  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-120-ota.html  , I can't seem to find the AZ4 mount for this though? Would you mind linking me to one???

I appreciate I am asking a lot, but which of the 2 set ups would you go for? 

19 minutes ago, Peewee_Pete said:

I think I am following, 

So buy this one if I don't mind the collimation bit?   https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-az4-mount.html  

If I want one that doesn't need the collimation  but basically not as good image quality?  then I need one of these  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-120-ota.html  , I can't seem to find the AZ4 mount for this though? Would you mind linking me to one???

I appreciate I am asking a lot, but which of the 2 set ups would you go for? 

Hi Pete. Yes the first one on the list skywatcher 150p on AZ does need collimation a bit☺

And the second one  refractor,evostar 120 does not need collimation 

As for image quality the reflector (150p) usually has a bit of a softer image quality. And the refractor (such as evostar 120) has a bit of a sharper image to it. But as the refractor (evostar 120) is an achromat probably have CA . The type of light intrusion you get on an image on a achromatic that is basically not present on a reflector or Apo refractor (two different types of refractors, one is less expensive than the other)

As to the AZ4 with the evostar 120 you may have to buy the ota( scope tube) and mount separately . Flo I am sure sell the AZ4 so probably in the mount section. But it maybe worthwhile email flo if you go for this option to see if they do kit evostar 120 and AZ4 combos 

As for which one to go for . I own a refractor and a reflector so have a foot in both camps so to speak. Both scopes IMO would be good for a newbie and take you into the intermediate stage of the hobby. I think it comes down to if you are happy to collimation of the 150p reflector now and again( also sometimes the mirror needs to cool down outside to reach ambient temperature for best images, maybe 30 mind or so before observation)or do you want to sit the scope on the mount and go in the case of refractor (very quick cool down time)

If you want my honest opinion then I would go to a local astronomy group and have a look through a refractor and reflector and see what type of views you like best. As this hobby is all about seeing and you may prefer the refractor type of view or the reflector type of views.

I hope the above helps and it all makes sense☺ 

Be aware that the Evostar 120 is in fact quite a big telescope. All told (with the dew shield), the telescope tube measures about 120cm long. It is also reasonably heavy, and needs a mount that is both large and heavy to support it solidly. It will take up space in a motor home - something you may need to take into consideration.

Before you take the plunge, there are several additional options you might like to consider.

Go-to mounts have computerized motors which move the telescope to specified objects and track them as they "move" across the sky. While these are a little more complicated to set up, they have the advantage that it is much easier and quicker to find your targets. It also makes viewing with other people (your daughter, for example) easier as the target doesn't move out of the field of view.

This particular telescope is a so-called catadioptric design which uses both lenses and mirrors, several sizes are available but the bigger ones are more expensive: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/se-series/celestron-nexstar-5se.html

Another type of mount is called the Dobsonian. This is a very simple wooden base which plonks down on the ground and allows the telescope to be nudged manually left-right and up-down. These really do represent the best value for money and are very intuitive to use. Again these come in all sizes (some are probably as big as your motor home :icon_biggrin:) but a 150mm/six inch model isn't too big at all: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html   In fact, these are the "grown-up" version of the Heritage 130 you have already looked at. You will probably need a stable wooden box etc. for your daughter to stand on.

Without going into too many technical details, there are so-called "fast" and "slow" telescopes, measured by their focal ratio (length divided by apperture): f4 for example is considered very fast while f10 is slow. In general the faster the telescope, the more demanding it is on eyepieces and this can be rather expensive. The Skywatcher Explorer is an f5 so you may want to bear this in mind.

You are traveling in a motorhome all week a reflector bouncing around will I think always need to be collimated, I would not get a reflector in your position.

You want at weekends to share with family. Reflector has eyepiece on side near top of tubr, refractor has eyepiece at bottom easier for young children I expect to use.

I might be tempted to stear to a multi purpose easy to use mount that can be fully manual, can track if wanted and has goto.

Skywatcher star discovery mount fits that. Tracking is useful when sharing with others.

On that I would stick an startravel 102 because it is a refractor though it will show some chromatic aberration. I think I prefer the discovery mount because it has freedom find which is total manual whereas the bundled goto mount with the 102 doesn't do manual i.e. with no power.

You can do starter imaging with that mount and your dslr and lens  but it does have a ceiling to that capability. An equatorial mount and a decent one would do better but is heavier and bigger and more expensive. If using a powered mount need to think of power options.

No one solution is great at everything so it is deciding what matters most.

Enjoy your research.

It's hard for newbies to make any sense of the range of competing telescope designs available today. But I'd strongly recommend getting a Goto model, as it makes it far easier to find interesting objects to look at - much more astronomy for your pound, if you like.

I bought a Celestron 127 Mak SLT Nexstar go-to scope, and have been very satisfied with it. Prior to buying it I had dabbled with astronomy for years, but never seen a globular cluster, or a galaxy, or the planets Uranus and Neptune, or any planets in broad daylight. The telescope itself is excellent, and with it compact shape and angled rear-mounted eyepiece, easy to use. The tripod mounting could be more rigid, but it is highly portable and does the job.  With your budget you could get one, plus a power pack and a premium 8mm or 10mm eyepiece.  The outfit as a whole is portable and the 127 Mak can do some good work, and it will go on a more rigid mount if you so desire.

I would not recommend the Startravel 102 short-focus refractor as a general purpose scope.  I have one, and it's good for looking at starfields and nebulae, and I have taken it on holiday with the Nexstar mounting, but not so good for planets, as there is too much aberration.

To my thinking there are a couple of conflicting requirements or hopes. The main being the Nikon and getting images.

Images are "fine" but it is not the same as photography - you take same 15 exposures and then stack them, each exposure will be 30 to 60 seconds long and that means a tracking (motorised mount) and the mount will be equitorial. For imaging this is sort of essential and there is a fair amount of "faff" involved.

In the less mechanical aspect there are dobsonian mounted newtonian scopes, fully manual and you nudge, push, pull the scope at the target.

The other manual would be something like a 102mm f/10 scope, Skywatcher or Bresser (AR 102L) produce suitable items and then put this on a manual Alt/Az mount. Not sure if the Vixen Mini-Porta is adaquate, there is also the Skywatcher SkyTee (think you may need an astro tripod for this). ES do a Twilight mount similar to the Vixen in style.

Alt/Az and no motors mean no imaging.

That is the "conflict" on requirements. If you did opt for the photography aspect then first realise what it entails, although with the weather we generally get obtaining a set of exposures one night (say 20 40 second exposures) then processing them the next few cloudy nights while away may be a useful aspect. Imaging can get costly and as mentioned there is a sort of minimum level of equipment required to produce reasonable results.

Hello and welcome.

For an easy Start, invest in some Binoculars ( you may already have some in the motor-home )  You  don't need powerful, as most binoculars just don't have the magnification to see Planetary details, but a wide angle, low powered pair will suffice,  allowing you to see loads more Stars and more of them in the field of view. Your daughter may get a good deal out of say 7x50 or even lower like 8x40, the first number the magnification, the second the aperture size in mm ( the front lens).

You mentioned the Heritage 130. I've seen one, and they are small, work from a flat surface, ie table top, and according to their users, quite effective. If this proves to be the case, your daughter will inherit the 130 whilst you consider buying yourself something like  a 200P version, the Skyliner. Bigger, heavier, but so simple to use, no 'faff '.

Both these scopes require collimation occasionally ( if you play a guitar, same as tuning? ) 

Archived