SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Afternoon Moon C8i Sony Cybershot

Aussie Dave

Some more handheld afocal work yesterday late afternoon 11/10/2016, this time with a Sony Cybershot DSC-W610 14mp compact camera, 80 ISO with auto exposure taken through an Orion Expanse 20mm EP and the Celestron Nexstar 8i SCT. I used some of the cameras optical zoom.

Images had some level adjustment and sharpening in PaintDotNet and converted to black and white. The last image of the Alps Region is a 2 image stitch in Autostitch.

Images not correctly orientate and need to be flipped I think.

DSC00501 25p.png

DSC00501 25p BW.png

DSC00492 25p Sharpened.png

DSC00492 25p Sharpened BW.png

Day Lunar Alpine Region 40percent 2 frame stitch.png

Day Lunar Alpine Region 40percent 2 frame stitch BW.png

Hi Aaron. I'm working on 1 good shot (keeper) per 10 shots now handheld. I have ordered one of these below to help out. I was going to get the older plastic type but decided to give this newer one a go first.

Afocal Rig (Small).jpg

The Orion Expanse 20mm 1.25" EP gives good clear views while still keeping all of the moon in shot. I've started experimenting with the camera's optical zoom which seems to be working out well. Previously I've used 32mm and 40mm 1.25" EP's in my C8 for afocal which also produce nice results. I've recently bought a 50mm 2" EP which I've yet to test.

This last image is correctly orientated. I have named some of the larger lunar surface features and a few smaller ones. There may be a typo :o

With my current telescopes and imaging gear I have worked out that I can resolve craters/craterlets down to about 4-5 kilometers in diameter. To better this and to get clearer overall and finer detail I'm looking at buying an IR block filter and eventually a larger SCT. I'm also still on the hunt for a Televue Powermate.

Day Lunar Study_Correctly Or Named Final.png

Archived