Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon Imaging in Fuerteventura

Mandy D

Whilst the UK is being battered by Storm Babet and my own region of North Derbyshire has severe flooding, we are enjoying some of the best skies I have experienced, here in Fuerrteventura. I hope you are all staying safe.

Here are some of the photos of the Moon that I have grabbed since arriving on Tuesday, this week. Sadly, I am working with just 600 mm focal length, so not getting the highest resolution images with the D800 as it was impractical to bring the big telescopes. I am here until early November, so hopefully will capture the upcoming lunar eclipse.

Moon_20231017_1917.jpg

Moon_20231018_1932.jpg

Moon_20231018_1935.jpg

Moon_20231019_2030.jpg

Moon_20231019_2026.jpg

Moon_20231021_Mono_2133.jpg

• Like 19

22 minutes ago, lunator said:

Very nice pics. 😀 I he'd a brief look at the moon tonight but it was a bit low for me.

Cheers

Ian 

Thanks. It's nice and high here, but I am at a much lower latitude than you at the moment.

Tonight's Moon from Fuerteventura is a single image as captured by the D800 at 600 mm FL. Absolutely no post-processing has been applied other than cropping.

@Xilman I can see why your observatory is not far from here! The skies are just amazing.

Moon_20231023_2408.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, OK Apricot said:

Very nice shots and fun to see the evolution of its phases 👌. Which part of the island are you staying? 

Thanks! It's been great having clear skies every night. We're at Caleta de Fuste.

26 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Thanks! It's been great having clear skies every night. We're at Caleta de Fuste.

Ah excellent - there's a great spot about half an hour away by car near Las Plajitas. I shot from a little trail off the road there in June 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OK Apricot said:

Ah excellent - there's a great spot about half an hour away by car near Las Plajitas. I shot from a little trail off the road there in June 👍

I can imagine there are some great dark sky spots, but sadly I am not driving at present so we are pretty much stuck to the area around our accommodation and it is very light polluted, so the Moon is my only target, as Jupiter is too small at 600 mm FL. We had some fabulous dark skies in Gran Canarias, several years ago.

• Like 1

Now approaching full phase, the Moon is still sharp but giving less than a few nights ago. Tonight's image shows 95% phase. Focusing was a problem again tonight due to the Moon's altitude and this image was from my second run which achieved best focus.

Moon_20231026_2922.jpg

• Like 2

Tonight's photos of the full Moon, taken prior to the start of the eclipse. I'll post eclipse photos in a new thread. As you can see, it started out quite cloudy. It did clear later just after the umbral eclipse began.

Full_Moon_20231028_3216.JPG

Full_Moon_20231028_3213.JPG

Full_Moon_20231028_3232.JPG

Full_Moon_20231028_3243.JPG

• Like 4