Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC7331 inspired by johnrt

RSM

After seeing the excellent image posted by johnrt of NGC 7331 and Stephan's quintet, I thought I'd give it a go. Several nice clear nights at the end of September gave me the chance. The image attached is WIP, 300+ subs at 3 minutes each (c.15 hrs total exposure time) with flats, darks and superbias. All I've done so far is a background gradient extraction, quick and dirty histogram stretch and a similar quality curves adjustment but already looks like there is plenty of good data in there to work with, so hopefully with a good dose of noise reduction and sharpening and a little more care in the stretching, there could be a nice image in there somewhere. Taken on a Canon 500D and using a coma corrector and dew bands (astrozap from FLO worked a treat) for the first time. 

Cant wait to have time to process this properly, I've counted at least 20 fuzzies so far  

image.jpeg

Thanks for looking

Richard. 

I liked very much your photo. what called my attention is the 3 small galaxies at left. With full view mode we can see very well that two of them seems to be in merging state. Good definition of details.

Congratulations.
I think XiDenoiser can do a good work with noise with NML mode.

Just back for a proper view on my desktop, there is some great detail in the tidal material in the quintet, the background does come across a little coloured though, a very easy fix. Is there more data coming on this?

Hi, no more data (yet) although depending on how it scrubs up during processing I may look to add some more. Subs had a lot of light pollution (air was quite moist on the evenings I took them) which I'll  manage to get rid of when I process properly. Also this image had no noise reduction so I expect that to smooth out the background and that'll allow me to stretch a bit more and sharpen up a little. I did set up last night but decided to have a go at the bubble nebula instead. Got about 6 hrs worth of subs which looked pretty good at first glimpse this morning. 

Archived