Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I have processed one tiff from DSS in slightly different ways, and am seeking opinions on which is 'best'. Please note that I am not claiming there is anything brilliant about any of them (it was my first go with the new camera, so I know lots could be better), but it is the comparison that I am seeking. I have detailed notes on what I did with each of them and so this feedback will help me to hone my skills (such as they are). Thanks.

A:

upload A.jpg

B:

upload B.jpg

C:

upload C.jpg

D:

upload D.jpg

5 hours ago, jazza said:

I think this might be a subjective question :)

Very true.

So what did I do?

[D] was just apply 'autolevels' in PS - did not really expect anyone to choose that one, it was more a sort of 'control'.

The others: On histogram, (i) move the outer sliders to encompass the 'black bit', and adjust the central slider as follows - A: leave at 1.0, B: increase to 1.1, C: decrease to 0.9. (ii) Add blackpoint above the brightish star in the top right hand corner. (iii) repeat (i), but leave the central slider alone this time.

The preferences seem to be for either leave central slider alone or decrease it slightly. The fact that opinions are split between these two suggests to me that I would not want to move it any further than I did in C, and possibly less. And maybe just leaving it alone is as good as anything.

Thank you all for your opinion on the results. This will help me move forward with my processing.

In D you managed to wipe the NA of the map (image). That can't be good.

In B, most of the nebula seems to still be there. It depends on how much faint detail you want to preserve.

Btw, I'm viewing this on my mobile phone, which isn't the right way to evaluate images. I may have another look when I'm at my computer.

Archived