Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any tips for making polar scope alignment easier?

Space Cowboy

Had my 2nd session with the new EQ5 last night but the polar scope is doing my nut. I'm finding it very difficult to illuminate the reticle at one end with my torch and craning to view through t'other. I can't illuminate and adjust at the same time so it's guess work making adjustments in alt/az and then checking with the torch.  I could do with fixing a light so my hands are free for adjusting. I'm getting Polar alignment close but not spot on.

Any tips for making this process easier would be greatly appreciated thanks.

If you use a lithium battery and resistor of about 10K or more to light a small red LED - just VERY FAINTLY - then use something to 'fire' the red light down the far end of the polarscope you will find it does a fair job without spoiling the view.

I made a little box  that fits on my mount that uses a short bit of bent fibre optic.

The red makes the sky appear to very faintly glow so the reticle shows up but the LED/fibre optic is too close to focus.

If you have Synscan it's even better news because you don't need to use the polar scope at all.  Instead do a rough Polar alignment by eye then use the Synscan handset Polar alignment routine.  I find it more accurate and its a damn sight easier.

17 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Neil that is an ingenious method!

Cheers Chris I didn't know synscan did that! Just found it hidden away near the back of the manual! Brilliant! :hello2:

Great stuff.  Come back to me if you have any trouble in case I have some tips for you. ;)

Archived