Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece Advice for Skywatcher 127

Hi All,

I am looking for some recommendations on new eyepieces for my Skywatcher 127 AZ goto. 

I am looking to view everything from planets to deep sky objects. 

I only have the 10+25mm that came with the scope so I need to upgrade, and well!

My budget is around £150 and looking for maybe 2 or 3 eyepieces.

Any advice you guys can give me will be much appreciated!

Thank you 

Chris 

I have pretty much the same scope (celestron SLT 127), with similar eyepieces (25 and 9mm).

I bought two wide field planetary eyepieces, 5 and 7mm, Celestron X-Cel LX are a pretty good choice, they're around 60£ each.

The 5mm is a bit of a stretch, maybe a 6mm could be a better choice, anyway with the 10, 7 and 5mm you would be covered up to the maximum magnification.

Other than that, I would also suggest a 32mm ploss for low power and wider field view (this one would be around 30/40£).

Hi,

I had a skymax 127 until recently. A 32mm is always good. A 6mm would give you a 0.5mm exit pupil which is about the limit for planetary. I chose a 7mm uwa@58 degrees. I also have a 12mm@60 degrees, a 20mm@68 degrees and the 32mm mentioned above@52 degrees. 32mm@52 is the maximum afov for the 1.25" eyepieces. Also, 24mm@68 degrees shows you the same fov. 24mm at f/12 yields a 2mm exit pupil which is very good for DSO.

I don't have a 24mm, but I was thinking to change my 20 eyepiece with a ES 24@68 and some 17-18.. didn't investigate which.

I hope I didn't confuse you instead of helping.

Alex

Not sure I would go for the 6mm, could be too much magnification for most nights use. Little use having an eyepiece that gets used say 1 in 5 nights, especially with the limited number of viewing nights we get. The SW 127 is close to f/12 and 6mm is the theoretical max, but not I suspect the practical max magnification.

I would say stop at 12mm and get something like the BST Starguider 25mm, 15mm and 12mm, that empties £147 out of the account. Being 60 degree the 25mm will give almost exactly the same field as a 30mm plossl. Later if you wanted then try the 8mm BST

I would suspect that anything below 10mm is too much for this scope (I have one so I know a bit about them) and 10mm is pushing it most of the time. My favourite eyepiece is a Celestron X-CEL LX 18mm followed by a generic Plossl 32mm. The 18mm is giving you about 83x mag and an exit pupil of about 3mm, the 32mm about 46x and a 5.5 mm EP.

On 9/26/2016 at 16:42, xyz said:

I would suspect that anything below 10mm is too much for this scope (I have one so I know a bit about them) and 10mm is pushing it most of the time. My favourite eyepiece is a Celestron X-CEL LX 18mm followed by a generic Plossl 32mm. The 18mm is giving you about 83x mag and an exit pupil of about 3mm, the 32mm about 46x and a 5.5 mm EP.

I agree that going below 10 mm usually is too much for this scope. However, small correction: the exit pupils are computed by dividing the eyepiece's focal length to the focal ratio of the telescope. Therefore, you get an exit pupil of 1.5 mm with the 18 mm eyepiece (18/12).

Alex

It's too bad those Maks have such tiny baffle tubes or I'd recommend getting a 2" visual back and diagonal and going with a low power 2" eyepiece to get low power views of star fields (yes it would blow the stated budget).  I'll agree that the 32mm plossl is probably the best bet for low power views.

13 hours ago, Louis D said:

It's too bad those Maks have such tiny baffle tubes or I'd recommend getting a 2" visual back and diagonal and going with a low power 2" eyepiece to get low power views of star fields (yes it would blow the stated budget).  I'll agree that the 32mm plossl is probably the best bet for low power views.

skywatcher do seem to make a 127 mak with 2" back but it has not shown up yet

Moise212 - you are of course correct - I read the wrong column (for my Dob not the MAK) from my spreadsheet. 18mm = 1.53mm EP and 32mm = 2.71 EP. Thanks for spotting that error.

Archived