First Post - Milkyway

Good Evening all,

I've been a long time lurker and am in constant awe at some of the skills on show on the forums, particularly with the deep sky stuff. I aspire to get myself a semi decent starter rig at some point to start some deep sky imaging.

In the meantime I have to make do with a DSLR and a tripod. Whilst looking through some photos in my archive recently I came across the two below. The first (Milkyway Kefalonia) was taken in September 2013 with my first DSLR, a Nikon D5100, with a 35mm F1.8 in Kefalonia whilst on holiday.

I had attempted stacking before and never had any decent results really. I didnt even take the tripod with me on this occasion as I had just planned on going for a walk with my better half one evening so just took the camera incase anything took my eye. Walking to the end of a dark road I realised how dark it was. I set the camera literally on its back shooting straight up and took 13 consecutive shots at 10s ISO1600. they didnt look like much on the camera so didnt think much about them until I got home. I stacked the 13 light frames with 27 darks which I took at the same time and managed to pull the below out of the hat with my rubbish ps techniques copied from a youtube article. I was absolutely made up that I appeared to capture some dust lanes and some colour. 

The second image (Milkyway Coniston) is a single frame captured this February on the edge of Lake Coniston in the Lake District, UK. Recently upgraded to a D810 this was taken with a Nikkor 14-24 F2.8 wide open at 14mm @ISO3200 with a 20s exposure. Only small adjustments were made in POST so again I was made up with the result. 

Welcome any feedback or criticism. I am absolutely determined to have a go at some deep sky stuff as I find it truly awe inspiring what can be captured.

Best regards

Dan

Milkyway Coniston.jpg

Milkyway Kefalonia.jpg

Fabulous shots, particularly the second one.

You've got some lovely deep sky objects in there. M8, the Lagoon nebula is the most obvious, but you've also got M20,21, 23, 25 and 17, plus quite a few NGCs. Excellent stuff.

IMG_6461.PNG

IMG_6462.PNG

Archived