NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skysafari 5 plus Ipad2 Help Please?

hadyn42

Hello All

Please could you help me regarding leads etc on the below setup?

I have just bought Skysafari 5 Plus software and loaded it onto my Ipad 2, 16gig. The program is working well and would like to purchase bits and pieces to work with my mounts.....

I am wanting to use it with my Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro and sometimes on my SW EQ6Pro. I think I know that I need to buy the SkyFi Unit, but not sure what cables / leads that I need to be able to run the heq5 or the neq6 mounts. Please could someone help me? The Heq5 mount has a RJ?? connection and the EQ6 Pro mount has a rs232 socket on it, if thats any help guys?

Some pictures or a link to the leads / cables would be great, as I am only a newcomer to this sort or astronomy software.

Kindest regards in advance,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Hello Paul

Thank you for the information.

I thought that seeing I bought the Skysafari 5 Plus software for my Ipad2 (ios version 9.3 that I could only get the Skifi module, I didn't realise I could go down the bluetooth route, mind you I am totaly confused about using a Ipad for starters!

Please could you have a look at the site in the link, as I was lead to beleive I would have to buy this:  https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/search/?r=SkyFi Wireless Telescope

And than go onto buying suitable leads to connect to my SW mounts......

Kindes t regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Hi Hayden,just before you spend any cash try this free download:http://mainsequencesoftware.com/Releases

Download  wifi scope this is a free bit of software that enables you to run your mounts EQ5/6 via your ipad.

Just follow the instructions and you will find  a free application that works.

If you are still having problems i will sort it out at Galloway

Regards

Mike

Hi Hayden.

IIRC The bluetooth version of the SkyFi is only for Android devices, it won't work with IOS.

The SkyFi or SkyWire is what you'll need to make SkySafari work with your scope.  

There are two versions of the SkyFi, the older version uses AA's, or external power.   The newer version uses a LiPo battery instead.  Apart from that, there isn't really a difference to the internals.

The SkyWire, has two editions, one is a lightning connector, and the other (older) uses the old iPod 32 pin connector.  You would need the Lightning version for your ipad 2.

Here's my thoughts, the SkyWire uses the lightning connector, so you won't be able to charge your iPad whist using it to control your scope.  Shouldn't be a problem, but you should be aware of that.

The SkyFi, makes a WiFi hotspot (or it can join an existing network) that you join with your iPad - Sky Safari can do this for you to make life easier.   Just be aware that if you join the SkyFi hotspot you won't be able to use the internet at the same time (unless you have the 4G stuff enabled, in that case it'll work fine)

The SkyFi unit has both a USB socket and an RS-232.  I know that the RS-232 part works just like plugging in a serial cable from your laptop.    I'm not sure if does the same thing with the USB Port, I remember something in the instructions about it, but don't remember as my scope only has RS-232.

I've personally never run my SkyFi from the AA's as I always run from external power.  For my SkyFi, I use a DC-DC converter to give it the requested 6V input rather than plugging in 12V (with they say will work fine, you just get some heat)

If you are looking to save some money, there are other products out that that do the same thing, look for Wifi to serial converters.  Apparently these work the same way, but I can't guarantee that as I've never seen it or tried it.

I run the SkyFi unit with an iPad and SkySafari for a number of years and have had very few problems with it.

If you are getting it from The Widescreen Centre (where I got mine coincidentally) have a chat with the guys in there and they should be able to help you with the necessary cables as they did me.

I run mine off a spare EQ5 battery pack that I happened to have lying around - the jack is the same size and this gives me great battery life.

One other bit of advice. Get some red gel film (rubylith or similar) and a cheap folio style case like the one pictured below. Cut the rubylith to fit inside the case so that it covers the entire screen with a cutout for the Home button. The reason for this is that while SkySafari has a redscreen feature, if you have to close the app i.e. when (re)connecting to the SkiFi network or waking the iPad up if it goes to sleep, you will kill your hard earned night vision. Just make sure that when you are using the red gel screen you have the SkySafari chart colour set to monochrome or it get difficult to see the icons along the bottom.

iPad Case.jpg

Hello Guys

Thank you all very much indeed for all the kind  advice given to me.

Very much looking forward to the GSP at end of next month and looking to meeting old friends and making new ones!

Kindest regards,

Hadyn - IOM

There is another trick that you can do with IOS devices that make it even better when working under a ruby filter.

Here's the problem, with a Red Gel film over the screen, the green and blue pixels are blocked - great for your night vision.  However, what you get instead is black from them.   This in turn means that some icons etc simply go missing.

So... Here's the solution.

Open settings --> General  --> Accessibility

At the top of the list is  the "Vision" section  find.

Display Accomodations  and tap that to open the right side.

Next click "Colour Filters"

On the next screen (it's got a picture of pencils)

toggle the "Colour Filters" button to on.

GreyScale is the first item in the list.

You IOS device is now running in black and white mode.  It's actually better than the night mode from SkySafari and it effects everything. So with your Red filter on the screen you can see everything as normal.

45 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

The small download works with my ipad ,with no problem,hate wasting money.

Mike

Mike, can you explain a bit more about what this does? As far as I'm aware, you need a skyfi unit or similar to connect wirelessly to the mount. I'm confused about how an app or download can get round this? Do you connect via Bluetooth or a cable? Ultimately if there is a way of replicating SkyFi without the cost I'm sure people will be interested.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation, considering the skyfi or skywire to connect my Mac / iPad to my Skysensor  2000, what I don't understand with the suggested Mainsequence app is how it physically connects to the scope? Is there a wifi receiver/serial converter or that one attaches to the scope other than the skyfi unit? Otherwise what's the point as the wifi connection routines are built into Sky Safari and they will connect it to the skyfi which in turn is connected to the scope, or am I missing something blazingly obvious ??

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Archived