NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

September 13th - H Alpha - Quietest Disk For 14 Months+ ?

paulastro

Out from 10.49 to 11.21 this morning.  When observing there was intermittent cloud and haze, very much lacking in contrast. (If I'd waited a couple of hours the sky was much better!)  Very few features on the disk, particularly few filaments, and none of any size.  From memory (I've not checked my records) it is the blandest disk since I put my Lunt 60 DS system together at the start of August 2015.  The most significant prominences are the remnants of the long filament which has now passed over the W horizon.  There were a couple of lesser prominences in the E.  Despite the comparative lack of detail on the disk, it was great visually with the 60 DS, particularly when using my binoviewer.  As always, the disk was a lovely blood red colour with an intense black background - always a wonderful sight whatever the detail on view.

Single frames taken with Lunt 60 DS and Olympus E-M10 at 500 asa.  Full disk taken at 11.12 on 1/30 and the prominence at 11.21 on 1/8 sec.  (very low res, added to show the location on the limb.

P9131774a.jpg  P9131853c.jpg

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Great image as ever Paul. I often find that even when the disk is fairly plain, I really enjoy the granulation and picking out whatever tiny faculae or pores there are.

Many thanks Stu.  I quite agree with you, even if there were no filaments or ARs at all (very difficult to imagine!) there is always something to see on the 'macro' scale.  I'm fascinated by what I call 'false filaments' - faint tracks across the surface which I've always presumed are filaments at slightly different heights in the solar atmosphere.  They sometimes are joined to ordinary filaments and look like fainter continuations of them.  I usually notice them on photographs I have taken rather than visually. 

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nice collection. It is very quiet indeed. I only spotted any real activity in the northwestern quadrant this afternoon, during lunch

Many thanks Michael.  It's nice when there is lots of activity, but I mist admit I love the fact that the sun is so unpredictable, it's what makes it so interesting for me.  :smile:

1 hour ago, bunnygod1 said:

Good looking disc's Paul, that's quite an active area there.

Many thanks Pete.  I mist admit, it would be quite novel ( and a great photo opportunity! :smile: ) if all the ARs rotated over the W horizon in the next few days and none came over the E horizon to take their place.  I think this is highly unlikely though  :laughing4:

40 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Many thanks Pete.  I mist admit, it would be quite novel ( and a great photo opportunity! :smile: ) if all the ARs rotated over the W horizon in the next few days and none came over the E horizon to take their place.  I think this is highly unlikely though  :laughing4:

I think for a lot of us solar imaging fans we are going to find out for the first time what a solar minimum is all about in the next few years. 

3 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

I think for a lot of us solar imaging fans we are going to find out for the first time what a solar minimum is all about in the next few years. 

I think you're right Pete.  I looked back in my records and I ordered my first PST back in February 2004, during or just after my Astrofest visit on February 7th.  Interestingly I also noted how good the Coronado 90mm telescope was ( both it and the PST had queues of people waiting to look through them set up outside Kensington Town Hall  - I kept joining the end of the queues again when I had my view! ).   The asking price for the 90mm - £11.000 back in those days !!  :smile: 

Archived