Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

solar with 127mak

Hi folks,

Ive observed for years but mainly dso with a dob, but a recent acquisition of a 127 mak has got me thinking about solar.

What are my options with this new scooe and what pitfalls do I need to avoid , other than the usual warnings about observing the sun directly or using eyepiece filters etc ? I was thinking of a clip on filter for the front end but js it really as easy as that ?

Cheers

Indeed I believe a full aperture filter is the only option for a mak.

You may want to consider using a filter at the eyepiece to increase contrast as well, solar white light can be a bit underwhelming otherwise.

It can be difficult to find the sun, solar finders are easy to make though, the shadow trick won't necessarily work on a scope that's nearly as wide as it is long ;)

Yep, agree with the others. Full aperture solar filter, and ideally a solar continuum filter at the eyepiece to make features easier to see. I would add a variable polarising filter set too to vary the brightness. Think about the magnification and size of the field of the view as well. One of my frineds uses a Mak for solar and insists on using too high a magnification, such that the disc of the Sun FILLS the field of view, making it very difficult to "find your way around" the view and actually see the features!

But other than that, it should work well.

Thanks for the replies folks, very helpful. Ive looked at the full aperture filters but notice there are the glass fikters like thousand oaks and also the film based ones. Does either have advantages over the other or as nightfisher suggests is a diy filter made from some baader film just as good (and cheaper!).

Cheers

I have used the film but have not looked through a glass filter, still, my understanding is that the Baader solar film gives better results. The glass used in the filters is not optical quality (unless you pay very large sums for one), unlike the film. The cheapest option is to buy the film and make one yourself if you feel confident about doing it (it's very easy), otherwise buy a ready made one.

I do some solar viewing with a 127 maksutov and solar film filter.

At the eyepiece end I use a baader solar continuum filter mostly, and sometimes no filter. I've got a couple of filters for dimming but I find they take a bit out of the detail.

I align the shadows on the two screws of my telrad base by holding my hand behind them to show the shadows on my hand for rough finding (!), and I use a solar film filtered 9*50 raci finder for fine tuning.

An added bonus with the maksutov is you can stick a filter wheel on and switch/compare filters easily.

Having recieved the Baader film the other day I spent a few hours making a filter which fits the end of the scope. Using some card and some PVA I made a tube by building up layers using the tube itself as a frame.

After that I fitted a cap of card and cut out a circle which left a tube with and internal flange which I fitted the film to using some double sided tape. This was followed by another cap piece to protect the edge of the film.

The final result was really pleasing, and fits the scope really well. I also found a round plastic food tub in asda for £1.50 which fits the filter perfectly so will keep I well protected.

I've attached two pictures below, one of the filter and the second one of the sun through the scope using my phone .... my first solar picture !

Cheers

20160919_180835-2.jpg

20160919_180347-2.jpg

Archived