NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

September 5th - H Alpha - Just !! ** Pic Added

paulastro

Gosh, I had a bit of the blue stuff between 4.26 and 5.01 pm, though it was cloudy for most of this period.  I only managed 14 frames, but if you think this one is bad, you should see the others!  At least it shows that lovely filament.  According to spaceweather.com it's 450,000 km long - if my calculations are correct that's about 270,000 miles in old money, approximately 20,000 miles greater than the distance between the Earth and the Moon.   It certainly puts its' size in perspective.  There were some nice prominences running along the E limb, but couldn't see much of them in the conditions.  Single frame with Lunt 60 DS, Olympus E-M10 on 500 asa, taken at 5.01 pm on 1/10 sec.

** Added a pic to show the position of the proms, sorry it's so dreadful but it was taken in a hurry on 1/3 sec.

P9050097c.jpgP9050087a.jpg

Archived