SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another excellent DSO observing night

A clear night forecast again so out with the 12" Dob.

I started with M13 and the view in the 9mm Myraid was excellent including seeing the propeller. Check out NGC 6207 the nearby galaxy to get a feel of the quality of the sky. Up to M92 and again the view in the 9mm Myraid was excellent.

Next more objects from the Secret Deep. I knew that the PN NGC 6894 was difficult because I failed to view it with my 4" APO on Sunday night and I also noted that Steve O'Meara failed to view at 33X and 64X in his 5" and was only able to see it at 165X under a very dark sky. Worked out the location star hopping with my Lumicon 9x50 finder and attached the Castell O-III to the 20mm Myriad and there it was right in the centre of the FOV. The PN is small and annular which becomes very easy with greater magnification.

Next a nice open cluster NGC 6910 although IC 1318(a) Emission Neb was nearby I decide to leave viewing that area until later with my Apollo 15X70 binos.

NGC 7129 is a reflection Nebula and Cluster in Cepheus and although I viewed it in early August I wanted to try again with the better sky. Not disappointed. Nice little cluster and the Nebula quite noticeable. Then another PN in Cepheus NGC 7354 which is situated at the end of a long line of stars. Again with the 9mm Myraid and the Castell O-III this small PN was easy to locate and view.

Still in Cepheus I first viewed the open cluster NGC 7510 - nice view in the 20mm. The second object I have not heard before which is NGC 7538 the North Lagoon Nebula. The Secret Deep book stated that this object was very faint so I could not believe the view in the 20mm. The Nebula has two mag 11 stars in the middle and its a great sight - I recommend looking out for this object..  I did try for the Bubble Nebula but was not successful.

I finished my session with the 12" going back to the Veil using the Castell O-III and the 20mm Myraid - wonderful.

On Sunday night I viewed the NAN with the 15X70 Apollo binos with UHC filters in both EPs. Did that again last night and the view of NAN was excellent again. But the test for these binos was IC 1318 (a) - I knew its exact location and using the binos with UHC filters again I could make out the structure but only just.

So a brilliant night of DSO observing and if you are thinking of buying an O-III filter I cannot fault the Castell.

Thanks for writing this up. Another great session!

I managed 3 targets in 3 hours..... Not quite what I had in mind.

NGC7538 is now on the list for tonight. Sky Safari lists its magnitude as "unknown".

Paul

Nice set of nebulae and clusters there with different instruments thanks for another great report!  I'll have to give 7129 a go in Cepheus.

I now feel guilty for not getting out last night... :p  It was already pretty late by the time I got the kids sorted out and pretty worn out myself... :p  Shame as it was so clear and no Moon.  Hopefully tonight though if I can get the list of chores done suitable quickly ;)

21 hours ago, Paul73 said:

NGC7538 is now on the list for tonight. Sky Safari lists its magnitude as "unknown".

Got it!???

Possiblly got the bubble too, but that will need a revisit to verify. Looked more of a faint Straggly crescent than a bubble.

Thanks for the heads up.

Paul

3 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Got it!???

Possiblly got the bubble too, but that will need a revisit to verify. Looked more of a faint Straggly crescent than a bubble.

Thanks for the heads up.

Paul

Paul that is good - NGC 7538 is an interesting object. Did you use your 16" to view the Bubble?

On 31 August 2016 at 12:06, Mark at Beaufort said:

Paul that is good - NGC 7538 is an interesting object. Did you use your 16" to view the Bubble?

Yes. I had the big dog out last night!

12mm Delos (150x) and Lumicon O111 filter. It was right on the edge of seeing.

Paul

Archived