Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
si_

Tenerife Astronomy Society TAS

We are a newly formed society on Tenerife and the first!

Tenerife is officially recognised as one of the very best places in the world to see the night sky in all of its glory. Its high altitude, clean and dry air coupled with a general lack of clouds means stunning conditions for stargazing and astronomy. NASA calls Tenerife one of the "four windows on the Universe" and its observatory is one of the most significant in the world. These stunning conditions are available just an hour's drive from the sun-soaked coastal resorts.

Our society is a place for people with an interest in the beauty of the night sky to come together to find or share knowledge; to meet, share experiences and help each other benefit from one of Tenerife's most amazing natural resources, its very dark skies. We meet every month at Casa Zaguan in Vilaflor where we have a roof top observation terrace with a number of telescopes. Visitors and new members are always welcome so if you are coming to Tenerife on holiday, please stop by our Facebook page and say "Hola!".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tastro/

• Like 1

Hello Si. I would be pleased to know more about the Tenerife Astro Society. I have an "astro" apartment on a private residential complex at Playa de la Arena equipped with a Celestron C8se, a 100mm binocular telescope, a 90mm Meade ETX Maksutov and a 80mm Ha solar telescope. I visit as frequently as I can but do not have transport and do not speak Spanish. I would also be interested to know what instrumentation the Society has as I have some surplus equipment that might be of use.   :icon_biggrin:

congratulations. never been there, what's the best period weatherwise to visit it?

I will try to meet up with you the next time I'm on the island. I observe normally from Izana with my 4" APM 'frac (sson to joined with its 5" brother)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By thehappypleiades
      Hi, newbie here! I’m hoping to get some advice on some star-gazing binoculars. I’ve read through the forum and I’ve decided to stay away from zoom bino’s because I’m just starting out, and I will eventually look into telescopes and whatnot if I wish to see the skies in more detail! 

So I’ve pretty much settled on something between 8 x 42 and 10 x 50. Please let me know the best ones in this range!!! 
      I’ve read some reviews on the Helios Lightquest HR 10x50’s so any advice on those would be great too! I’m open to suggestions but what I’m really hoping to get is a sturdy pair of first binoculars that I can keep around for the long run, and hopefully drag around on many adventures. I’m willing to invest in a tripod as well for focused gazing, although I plant to keep them around my neck for a while so I can get used to them! 

I’m also unsure of how to find a great lightweight tripod so any links would be great! Love the forum so far and I’m excited to start observing the skies!

Happy Stargazing,
      thehappypleiades
    • By Camalajs525
      So I'm having some issues recently and have a lot of questions for the erecting eyepiece 1.5x. I want to know if they are useful, better, and i also want to know if they have a lot of detail in them. How do you use a erecting eyepiece? What is it for? When can i use it? Also my issue is when I try to use an erecting eyepiece on a star it is out of focus and cant seem to find the right focus.  yesterday I had tried on sirius but it just showed me a huge ball of light. Any help and tips will be appreciated.
    • By lyfestyle
      Hello all, my name is Paige. I am a college student and new to the stargazing community. I know all about the constellations and astronomy, but i’ve never bought anything to see the stars up close. I’ve read through the forum and come to the conclusions I want to start with some well built binoculars and eventually get into telescopes. The 7 x 50 seem to be the common starting point but I would love to get something with a bit more clarity, and preferably still handheld.  I’ve also read up on some binoculars already and the big brands that jump out are Celestron and Orion, so I would love some opinions on those because they don’t seem to be reliable in the long run. I only have one shot on a good pair and I dont plan on buying any other equipment until i’ve mastered the binoculars! Price range up to around $300 so any tips would be amazing!
      Thank you, happy sky watching 🌌
    • By Phillips6549
      The Knowle Astronomical Society is holding a
      PUBLIC STARGAZING & BEGINNERS EVENING
      On  Monday 7th October 2019 at 8pm at
      Dorridge Village Hall, Grange Road, B93 8QA
      If the weather isn't favourable (what are the chances?) we will set up a few 'scopes in the hall to show people and we will also be giving a beginners talk in the hall and, who knows,  maybe we'll recruit a few new members.  Light refreshments will be available throughout the evening.

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys. For. A while now, i have been wondering, just how much difference does a dark sky make. I live in moderate light pollution, as i live in the city.The orion nebula is just a little fainter than most stars when viewed with the naked eye.
      The limiting magnitude for my 8" dob so far(that i have tried) is 8.4. i could just make out the crab nebula at 37.5x . extremely faint and just visible with adverted vision.I can also see the blackeyed galaxy quite clearly.
      I will be going on holiday in the summertime.I ll be visiting a place with clear dark skies.I will bring my 5" Skywatcher heritage with me. How many inches of aperature will the dark skies"add" to my scope compared to its original aperature at a light polluted location.Will it be able to rival my 8" dob?
      Just wondering
      Clear skies
      Kronos

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.