Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser for Altair Starwave 152

Hi there,

Has anyone upgraded the Focuser on the Altair Starwave 152? Mine doesn't move upwards if I rack it in during near zenith viewing with 2kg of eyepiece and diagonal. Was thinking of going for this TS Optics 3", but can't tell if it will fit.  The TS has an M117 connector and is supposed to fit GSO scopes, I'm not sure who makes Altairs.  Here is the Focuser I found: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6977_TS-3--Rack-and-Pinion-Focuser---holds-accessory-to-6kg---110mm-travel.html

Cheers, 

Fish

I had the distinct impression that the TS branded equipment was by GSO. I also think that there are too many apparent similarities between TS and Altair for it to be pure coincidence... And the Starwave 152 sure looks like the TS 152 (both of which currently come with a 3" focuser, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the focuser you are considering... ). I'm assuming your Starwave has a 2" focuser?

Found the tensioner - it's an Allen socket just a few millimetres in front of (pretty much underneath actually) the big Focuser lock screw, well hidden.  Tightened it up and it works fine now!

Last issue - my 10:1 reduction knob (gold coloured)  doesn't do anything, just spins. There is a hole in this small gold knob which looks like it is for a set screw, but there's nothing there. Anyone know what the screw type is so I can order one?

Thanks

5 hours ago, Commanderfish said:

Found the tensioner - it's an Allen socket just a few millimetres in front of (pretty much underneath actually) the big Focuser lock screw, well hidden.  Tightened it up and it works fine now!

Last issue - my 10:1 reduction knob (gold coloured)  doesn't do anything, just spins. There is a hole in this small gold knob which looks like it is for a set screw, but there's nothing there. Anyone know what the screw type is so I can order one?

Thanks

Might be best to drop an email across to Altair Astro themselves and see if they can supply one perhaps for this. Glad you got the tensioner sorted out OK. I had to slightly retention the Crayford focuser on mt ST120 frac the other week. Only took a fraction of a turn to get correct tension back again. :) 

Archived