Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1396 under a full(ish) Moon - 200pds

Uranium235

Well, it might have been clear earlier this week but the sky certainly wasnt good quality. Loads of thin, high cloud illiminated by a full(ish) Moon.... not the best of conditions but hey ho... worth a try!

In the end I managed to cobble together just short of four hours worth in Ha, and to give it some colour I dug up some Ha/SII/OIII data I took a few years ago when I had the Atik314. I mean... if ive already got the data, and it rescales well enough to match the 200pds data... why reshoot? :)

This time I put the mono and colour images together in a single frame, just as a side by side comparison. I think the 200 needs a little more tweaking in one corner, but I had a fairly good collimation session a couple of nights ago so Im hoping that will fix it - all I need is a clear night to test it (ha, yea right!) :D

15x900 (Ha) + Ha/SII/OII from years ago.

Thanks for looking :)

29083602686_cb332b1f82_o.jpg

35 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Thanks for looking :)

Thanks for showing. I'm so clouded in, I can't even tell if there's a moon or not.

Days are sunny and bright, but when evening comes, clouds roll in.

So it's nice to see your image.

Hi Uranium,

Fantastic looking image. Hoping to catch something like that soon with my 200PDS when the better astronomy months kick in.

Quick question: you said you used some shots from several years ago. I would have thought that gases etc would have changed/distorted some over that time period (or do Nebulae never seem to change?) Apologies if this is a very newbie question!

Thanks,
Gary

2 hours ago, tehmac said:

Hi Uranium,

Fantastic looking image. Hoping to catch something like that soon with my 200PDS when the better astronomy months kick in.

Quick question: you said you used some shots from several years ago. I would have thought that gases etc would have changed/distorted some over that time period (or do Nebulae never seem to change?) Apologies if this is a very newbie question!

Thanks,
Gary

The other data I used was about four years old, but in relation to your question - the structure/gas involved would not change over such a short period. In fact it would take a very long time for any changes to happen (hundreds, maybe thousands of years) - and even then the changes would be small. The only changes that seem to happen over an (astronomically) short period of time are those related with novae/supernovae and planetary nebulas where the gas shockwave is travelling at considerable speed.

Here is a recent example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37098317

Or this one of the Crab nebula taken by the Chandra x-ray telescope:

Archived