Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Unique Piece Of Apollo History

Cygnus_X1

Back in February 1969. National Geographic printed a beautiful Moon map wall poster called 'The Earth's Moon'....which had a huge amount of information on it. When my Dad worked at Jodrell Bank during the Apollo missions, one of them was on the wall of the Concourse building there. It used to have loads of pins and markers on it, to show the landing sites for the Apollo missions. Well...here is that actual Moon map that was at Jodrell Bank at the time...and which I now possess. There's probably thousands of these maps still around, but few can claim to have actually been on the wall of a great observatory. Its a bit moth eaten after all the years, though.

DSCN1328.JPG

Nice thread, and piece of history you have there, worthy of a good frame. 

Back in the 1990s I became good friends with a gentleman at our sportsmen's club. I later found out he was public relations officer for NASA during the Apollo programs. At one time Lou had presented medallions to contractors for they're significant roll in the success of the Apollo 11 mission. The medallions contained metal from the spacecrafts Columbia & Eagle, so you can imagine my surprise and elation when he gave me one of the extras he had. I've kept it in my wallet for about 20 years now, and occasionally think about it while viewing the Moon. :smile:

Anyone else have Apollo memorabilia ?

PICT0060 (Medium).JPG

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 13:25, L8-Nite said:

Nice thread, and piece of history you have there, worthy of a good frame. 

Back in the 1990s I became good friends with a gentleman at our sportsmen's club. I later found out he was public relations officer for NASA during the Apollo programs. At one time Lou had presented medallions to contractors for they're significant roll in the success of the Apollo 11 mission. The medallions contained metal from the spacecrafts Columbia & Eagle, so you can imagine my surprise and elation when he gave me one of the extras he had. I've kept it in my wallet for about 20 years now, and occasionally think about it while viewing the Moon. :smile:

Anyone else have Apollo memorabilia ?

PICT0060 (Medium).JPG

Yes.....in addition to having the Moon Map...my dad also received a signed ( by Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins ) photo of the Earth from the Moon, taken from Apollo 11. Signed in felt tip pen, which has faded over the years.  Also...there's some special first edition postal franked stuff at Jodrell Bank to commemorate the landings.

• 5 months later...

Two fantastic artefacts from an era I love. I was nothing but a small back when all this was going on but my imagination was captured hook line and sinker. I remember my Dad coming to get me out of bed so I could watch the BBC coverage of Armstrong "One small step" as it happened.

My memorabilia is not tangible but it is all right there, in my head.

On 01/02/2017 at 23:28, Swoop1 said:

Two fantastic artefacts from an era I love. I was nothing but a small back when all this was going on but my imagination was captured hook line and sinker. I remember my Dad coming to get me out of bed so I could watch the BBC coverage of Armstrong "One small step" as it happened.

My memorabilia is not tangible but it is all right there, in my head.

Ditto Swoop almost to the word.

In addition my Dad used to sit with me and his binoculars are search for the lunar landers.

All these years later when observe the moon I think fondly of those times and my now late fathers indulgence.

Archived