Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on Computer Build

Hi to all Computer Techies.

I need to get upgraded with a more modern Desktop Machine, and I request some suggestion as far as the Motherboard, and Processer I should go for. I usually just bought a bundled package,

IE M/Board, Processor+Cooler, Memory. Anyone with any Ideas on what I should go for,may also suggest a supplier. My usual source was the local computer fair, but for some reason, they no longer hold them in Carlisle. Due, I believe, to venue difficulties.

I Mostly went for Intel Processors, but I have used AMD with no issues, so they may be indluded.

I am out of touch, wuth Dual and Quad Core stuff you see. :shocked:

Ron. :lol:

Ron, I'm not sure what spec you are after, but Novatch often do some good offers. I've used them a number of times in the past for new pc's and upgrade bundles, but have no relationship with them. See here

Thanks John. I was actually browsing their site yesterday, and plenty of choice there.

I'll second Aria for custom building and ebuyer for peripherals. Dealt with both companies with no problems. :thumbright:

I've fallen behind on mobo's and cpu's the last couple of years. Last time I was gen'd up I was recommending those Athlons that needed a wind tunnel to keep em cool :shocked: . From what I can see on the surface, you seem to get plenty of processing power nowadays even on budget machines.

Matt

Just to state my case. :shocked:

The computer I am using at present, is a Pentium4 3.2 Ghz using the Prescott extreme processor, which initially gave me some cooling headaches. This was eventually cured.

1Gb Ram, with all my Astronomy related software installed. It is getting on a bit, but I am not getting rid.

When I get the warm room attached to my Obs. I shall put it in there. The laptop I got for the job, was commandeered by the wife, and she doesn't trust me to keep it safe in the dark. :lol:

I need the new machine in the house, to replace the oldie but goody.

Ron.

I'll second Aria for custom building and ebuyer for peripherals. Dealt with both companies with no problems. :thumbright:

I've fallen behind on mobo's and cpu's the last couple of years. Last time I was gen'd up I was recommending those Athlons that needed a wind tunnel to keep em cool :shocked: . From what I can see on the surface, you seem to get plenty of processing power nowadays even on budget machines.

Matt

Matt, I had a look in PC World last Friday. I soon realised how far behind I had got when I saw the machines displayed . The prices ranged from about £550 to almost £2k

I just got the Idea I might do better building my own on a budget of £500.

I know the gap between self build and buy one used to be fairly wide. Not too sure these days though.

Ron. :lol:

Ron,

Built one for my neighbour last week - http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BB-X24626M you can just buy the motherboard bundle for £124 but I needed a case and power supply. Also bought a 250Gb hard drive, DVD-RW and a copy of XP with SP3 included. With a really nice monitor, it came to about £500.

It turned out the power supply was dead as a dodo - phoned them and I had a new one the next day.

My neighbour is very happy with it. PM me if you want more info.

Mike

Hi Ron

Totally agree on the gap close between self build and buy nowadays. I'd even consider getting a Dual core Dell to save all the hassle of ordering bits and putting it all together. Looking at their desktops, they really have come a long way for the home buyers market.

Matt

Been ordering from e-buyer for quite a few years now Ron, and no problems. The 'kit' is reasonably priced, with a good range to choose from.

Have built several desktop PCs now, some I still have, and others have been handed down to the grandchildren.

Intel or AMD processors, and as far as I'm concerned its six of one and a half dozen of the other. Have used both, but these days I tend to buy AMD as the pricing seems to be more competitive.

Dual core processors are pretty cheap now, and I wouldn't bother using anything less than this now.

Personal preference, but I stick with XP as opposed to Vista. XP Home = 32bit and XP Pro = 64bit.

I've used Asus, ASrock, MSI and Gigabyte motherboards, and have not had any failures with any of them.

SATA HDD is really a minimum now, as IDE is a bit 'old hat'.

Dont skimp on the size of the HDD, and today, 1Gb of RAM is a minimum.

Dave

Been ordering from e-buyer for quite a few years now Ron, and no problems. The 'kit' is reasonably priced, with a good range to choose from.

Have built several desktop PCs now, some I still have, and others have been handed down to the grandchildren.

Intel or AMD processors, and as far as I'm concerned its six of one and a half dozen of the other. Have used both, but these days I tend to buy AMD as the pricing seems to be more competitive.

Dual core processors are pretty cheap now, and I wouldn't bother using anything less than this now.

Personal preference, but I stick with XP as opposed to Vista. XP Home = 32bit and XP Pro = 64bit.

I've used Asus, ASrock, MSI and Gigabyte motherboards, and have not had any failures with any of them.

SATA HDD is really a minimum now, as IDE is a bit 'old hat'.

Dont skimp on the size of the HDD, and today, 1Gb of RAM is a minimum.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave. I have had AMD too with no issues at all, the preference for Intel is not based on anything that would rule out AMD at all.

Would it be fair to say that dual or quad core Processors are less prone to heat problems, or am I surmising wrongly here. It's just that the processor in my present machine did take a lot to get the temperature under control, one of the results of that, is a constant noise that the extra cooling fans emit.

Ron.

Intel Core2Duo and Core2Quad processors are very cool running chips. The Prescott you mention is possibly one of the worst chips for cooling and every one overheats etc. The stock cooler you get with the Intel Chips (Retail packs only!) runs silent. Simple.

I tend to buy from http://www.overclockers.co.uk and in their Forums, a member keeps this list updated:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17883751

How much do you want to spend, and what is it for?

XP is a must for astronomy stuff, as very few applications have Vista support (shocking tbh). I use Vista x64 and find it much much better and faster than XP. Its also more stable.

Not sure about the hetaing issue Ron, but my latest PC, which is using the AMD Athlon 64x2 X2 5000+ (2.2 GHz) CPU, does have quite a large fan/heatsink attached. Having said that, the fan very rarely, if ever, ramps up to full speed.

I would also agree with Matt (Vega), that there's now very little, if anything, between the cost of 'ready made' or 'self build.

Dave

Barkis,

You haven't actually said what sort of processing you will be doing.

You definitely won't need a quad core processor unless you have the software that will use the extra cores.

The advantage of building yourself is that you know exactly what kit you have inside the box and it's not crammed with useless bloated applications that the box shifter gets paid to load onto the machine so you have to spend half a day removing.

An Asüs motherboard, Core 2 Duo, 2Gb ram, cheapish 3D graphics card and HD of your choice will do you for sure.

--

Martyn

Barkis,

You haven't actually said what sort of processing you will be doing.

You definitely won't need a quad core processor unless you have the software that will use the extra cores.

The advantage of building yourself is that you know exactly what kit you have inside the box and it's not crammed with useless bloated applications that the box shifter gets paid to load onto the machine so you have to spend half a day removing.

An Asüs motherboard, Core 2 Duo, 2Gb ram, cheapish 3D graphics card and HD of your choice will do you for sure.

--

Martyn

Hi. Martyn,

You are absolutely right in what you said, and although I may have given Quad Core a mention, I have no intention of build around one , or buying a QC machine.

I have experienced exactly that you speak of, Three ready built machines I had before the penny dropped, and from then on it was self build.

Ron. :shocked:

Totally agree with that! There's nothing worse than firing up a brand new pc to find it loaded with trial period software (like that blessed over cautious Norton 360 muck) and icons to sign up to ISP's!

On saying that, its not too hard to get rid of the stuff. I think the main reason I would buy new next time round is because it saves time.

Overclockers can be a can of worms, I got really into that side of thinks a few years back and you can get obsessed squeezing the last few percentage points out of your computer. :shocked:

Yup! See my sig . . . But it needs updating now, as I have a 300Gb raptor now . . .

Ive ran out of kit to spend money on now. Time to buy astro related stuff . . . :lol:

• 11 months later...

Archived