NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First time with Az-eq6

hitmanh

Had my very first attempt at setting up my new Az-eq6 last night. Really struggled with optical polar alignment just down to the fact I could not get in a position to see the scope properly. Being 6'3" and a bit old and unbendy it was crazy trying to get my eye aligned with the thing (gah, shakes fist). Sadly clouds came over just as I was getting sorted so never got the chance to do much, but I think a Polemaster may be ordered next week before I dislocate several vertebrae in attempting that again... Otherwise very happy with the mount, east enough to get set up, very solid feel, and no other problems. Looking forward to getting some long exposures in the coming weeks.

IMG_20160812_195442.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice setup.

You can make life somewhat easier by moving the az adjustment pin on the tripod head to the other side. Just unscrew and screw into the threaded hole on the other side. This way you will have one tripod leg facing north and no leg near the eyepiece of the polar scope.

You can also use the synscan all star polar alignment routine for polar alignment and not use the polar scope at all. Just point the mount north using a compass and set alt to your latitude, to start with. Then do a 2 star alignment followed by a synscan polar alignment.

Btw, I notice that you don't use the eyepiece tray as a leg spreader. Any reason for that? It will help making sure that the tripod legs are spread evenly.

Good luck

Moving the mount so that the polar scope is between two legs certainly does help, however even with this alteration I still can only view through the polar scope for short periods before my neck hurts, and that's with the 8 inch pillar extension! 

The eyepiece tray also helps to firmly tighten the bolt attaching the mount head to the tripod, definitely worth using.

Dan :happy7:

Yes, I can relate to the back problems.

Try polar alignment with an EQ3 mount on its aluminium tripod, with the legs all the way in to have the mount as stable as possible.

At 60 deg North.

That's one reason I upgraded my mount to something I could put a little higher. Other than that, I use the synscan alignment I described earlier.

FLO should also have a chiropractor in their offerings :icon_biggrin:

BTW Matt, if you get a polemaster, let me/us know how it works for you. I've also been looking at that option, but it's a bit down on my wish list.

You won't regret buying a Polemaster - without doubt the best thing I've bought since doing astronomy. Will give you an accurate, stress free polar alignment in 5mins. Be careful with the aspa routine - I find it very inaccurate on Celestron mounts and will give widely different readings on further itinerations - I used to waste the night away polar aligning doing this, hence why the Polemaster is the best invention since the wheel. 

I have only looked through the polar scope once. Then one of the very kind members told me about the polar alignment routine in the handset.  Works very well. 2 star align, polar align on the handset, rinse lather and repeat unail yout are happy.  Finish off with a 2 or 3 star alignment. Works great. 

Enjoy the mount.  I love mine.

I have also moved the pin so that one leg points north. I then sit right underneath the mount, with my legs flat on the ground either side of the mount's northerly leg, whilst I look up through the polar scope. This is much easier on the neck and back than kneeling behind the mount.    It's also a good position to align on Polaris using  the  mount's elevation and azimuth adjustments.  

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I have also moved the pin so that one leg points north. I then sit right underneath the mount, with my legs flat on the ground either side of the mount's northerly leg, whilst I look up through the polar scope. This is much easier on the neck and back than kneeling behind the mount.    It's also a good position to align on Polaris using  the  mount's elevation and azimuth adjustments.  

Some minds think alike. That's why I always have a few foam mats with me. (See the image in the post I referred to earlier).

I hope to avoid this with my new mount. Once it stops raining ...

Well, had another go this evening, and pretty much failed with the polar scope. Managed a reasonable alignment using 2-star, but definitely to improve. Something not quite yet as seeing streaks with long exposures, but it should come with practice. Part of the problem is actually finding the correct star in the view finder, messed up a couple of times before finally getting it right.

Practice make perfect. BTW, 2-star alignment does nothing to improve polar alignment. It only improves GoTo performance, which is good for viewing, but not for astrophotography.

That's why you need to do a polar alignment after 2-star alignment (if you use the synscan for polar alignment). For AP, I would follow this by drift alignment to check whether alignment is ok.

This guide may help: http://www.admaccessories.com/installation/Polar_Alignment.pdf

Good luck

My back and knees not being as flexible as they used to be, I treated myself to this nifty gadget, which certainly helps:

http://www.darkframeoptics.com/product/polarite-right-angled-polarscope

It simply bolts onto the end of your polar scope, and lets you look down rather than up.  You could probably cobble together something similar if you have the right bits around, but I was seduced by the off-the-shelf solution!

Happy aligning folks.

Cheers

11 hours ago, hitmanh said:

Well, had another go this evening, and pretty much failed with the polar scope. Managed a reasonable alignment using 2-star, but definitely to improve. Something not quite yet as seeing streaks with long exposures, but it should come with practice. Part of the problem is actually finding the correct star in the view finder, messed up a couple of times before finally getting it right.

Ignore the polar scope and use the handset polar alignment routine instead.  Its a doddle.

I would suggest you use the 'eyepiece tray' though - unless there's a good reason not to.  It's really a brace, and will reduce flex (and therefore deviance from polar alignment).  Might not matter now, but when the photography gets serious it could make a difference.  I've had this mount for a while now, and it guides faultlessly even at high f ratios on an SCT. 

23 hours ago, physicus said:

I would suggest you use the 'eyepiece tray' though - unless there's a good reason not to.  It's really a brace, and will reduce flex (and therefore deviance from polar alignment).  Might not matter now, but when the photography gets serious it could make a difference.  I've had this mount for a while now, and it guides faultlessly even at high f ratios on an SCT. 

Yes, I used the tray on the last session. Plus it's a handy spot for the mobile phone running Google Sky Map.

Much more successful this evening with polar alignment and no stars trails on 1 minute exposures, sadly my GH3 can't do longer exposures than that, so next step is to look for a replacement. Can't wait for some darker nights!

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Rain, moon and still too bright nights keep my az eq6 indoors. :clouds2::clouds1::glasses9:

Yeah, the full moon was not doing my attempts on m31 any good, but it's all good practice for when the dark nights arrive.

On 16 August 2016 at 12:04, Owmuchonomy said:

Ignore the polar scope and use the handset polar alignment routine instead.  Its a doddle.

It's funny isn't it that we all take to different methods ... or not, as in my case. Not only did I not find it a "doddle" but the alignment has always been completely unacceptable on the several times I've tried it. In the end I gave up with it in disgust.  I'm now using the polar scope routine in EQMOD which works well for me. 

16 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

It's funny isn't it that we all take to different methods ... or not, as in my case. Not only did I not find it a "doddle" but the alignment has always been completely unacceptable on the several times I've tried it. In the end I gave up with it in disgust.  I'm now using the polar scope routine in EQMOD which works well for me. 

That's a shame. At least you now have a method that works.  I found the polarscopes a redundant feature on both this mount and my HEQ5 Pro.  The accuracy on the AZ EQ 6 GT is improved even more by turning off the encoders during the alignment but don't forget to turn them back on if manually shifting the mount.

Archived