Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some good from the pain!

simmo39

Hi all. Last Saturday I thought I would do an experiment with my home made cooler on my canon DLSR. I had it all planned, I would use the Tulip Neb as my Target. Wrong! after an hour of searching  and trying to find it on the GOTO list of mt SW mount I gave up and thought I would see if it was not me but the mount so dialed in M16 forgetting that it would be close to the house but what you know I managed to get 3 6 mins subs before it got hid. Thinking that I had it sorted I went for a session on the Crescent Neb, another disaster! think I must have knocked the camera as when I looked the next day they looked pants! Anyway, here is the result. the Crescent neb is about an hours worth of 6 min subs at 800. and slightly out of focus and the M16 data mixed with the data I had taken last month. I like the M16 shot but not keen on the other. One godd bit was while it lasted the cooler worked! Now how do I find the Tulip?

cres1_zpschqtbm21.jpg

m16crop_zpsf3twmsoe.jpg

Hints and tips welcome, especially on trying to find the tulip! lol

7 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Finding the Tulip Nebula:

Can you not enter the RA and Dec into your HEQ5, then GoTo?

20h 00m 30s

35d 19m 14s

For accuracy Sync and check focus on Sadr first

Michael

Hi, thanks for the pointer, also found that I can just type in the star number thats in the nebula its SAO 96230.  Will give it a go next time we get a clear night, when ever that will be! lol

On 11/08/2016 at 07:58, simmo39 said:

Hi, thanks for the pointer, also found that I can just type in the star number thats in the nebula its SAO 96230.  Will give it a go next time we get a clear night, when ever that will be! lol

Don't know if I can enter star numbers in synscan... will have to check it out. It is near open cluster NGC 6871. it looks like if you find the clustr, tulip should be nearby, possibly in the same frame. I'm hoping to find it tonight, clouds permitting. 

18 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

Don't know if I can enter star numbers in synscan... will have to check it out. It is near open cluster NGC 6871. it looks like if you find the clustr, tulip should be nearby, possibly in the same frame. I'm hoping to find it tonight, clouds permitting. 

Will be trying my luck on Sunday night, as you say clouds permitting.

great images for the exposure times.  The Crescent is a tough target to make look good, so all the more congrats on that one.  If you use a goto mount connected to a planetarium program (I use Cartes du ciel), you can search for a target by ngc number or common name and onec it has found it, slew to target.  Works great for me.

14 hours ago, Adam J said:

What temps and cooling method are you using? :)

Hi im using this: th_IMG_20160701_161702942_zpsqacbhxdl.jp

The temp im taking off the embedded data off the subs. Its a  peltier chip with a computer fan and heatsink. Seems to cool ok but not as good as cold finger types. I didnt want to take a part my camera.

11 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Hi im using this: th_IMG_20160701_161702942_zpsqacbhxdl.jp

The temp im taking off the embedded data off the subs. Its a  peltier chip with a computer fan and heatsink. Seems to cool ok but not as good as cold finger types. I didnt want to take a part my camera.

So is the cold side of the TEC resting on the plastic then? Or reaching through to the chip itself? I use a cool box with my camera. I tend to get about 22c to 24c below ambient using the cameras own reading. But I also removed the rear of the camera within the cool box to achieve that.

Archived