NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone heading for a dark sky site tonight?

Stub Mandrel

I want to go further afield and the forecast for tonight looks promising enough to be worth driving 30 or 40 miles.

If anyone else is planning to go to a dark site in the Peak District and would consider meeting up, please send me a message - I don't want to post details in an open forum in case there are bad lads about.

Yes, we used to go to a place behind the Roaches called Gradbach, very dark on a good night but Manchester and Stoke throw their light pollution a heck of a long way so it's difficult to avoid completely anywhere within the Peak District. However, when the transparency is good that light doesn't get reflected back from the sky at you so it really depends on atmospherics.

ChrisH

I went to Parlsey Hay, very clear over the top but a ring of light pollution around the horizon. Recognised more than I've seen before, but far from as dark as Exmoor.

Although I was imaging I had a great naked eye/small binos night so I'll do a visual report.

In the doghouse as although i thought i was creeping in at 4:30 apparently I woke everyone up :hiding:

Archived