Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Optics 8" Dob

I am very pleased to announce that I am now the proud owner of this immaculate 10 year old OO UK 8" Dob, courtesy of an extremely nice gentleman in Bridlington...

IMG_0039.JPG

In true Eric Morley style I am very pleased to announce that the vital statistics are as follows...

IMG_0040.JPG

Advertised as a 1/6th pv it turns out to be closer to 1/7th, with a very encouraging Strehl rating.

I hope to compare it to its younger and more illustrious VX12 1/10th sibling this evening :smile:

Looks great Derek :icon_biggrin:

My 12" F/5.3 had the same focuser on it when I got it. Even though it's a single speed it worked pretty well for my 1st year with the scope.

Hope you get a good 1st light :icon_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Derek is this Orion UK number 3?

No, Number 2. The post yesterday was an Orion Optics 8" Dob mount with a SW 200P, which will be up for sale soon :wink:

11 minutes ago, John said:

Looks great Derek :icon_biggrin:

My 12" F/5.3 had the same focuser on it when I got it. Even though it's a single speed it worked pretty well for my 1st year with the scope.

Hope you get a good 1st light :icon_biggrin:

Thanks, John. I plan to swap the focuser with the Moonlite CR-2 that is currently on my SW 200P and then sell on the 200P. The OO focuser does look and feel better than a standard SW Crayford so whoever ends up with that will hopefully not be disappointed :wink:

17 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Nice...............but not a TAL............runs for cover

I couldn't agree more, Jules. I put it through a scanner and it couldn't detect any plastic whatsoever :rolleyes2:  :lol:

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

sorry for pulling your leg, looks a lovely scope, is it F6?, the good old 8" dob is the workhorse of uk astronomy

No worries, Jules, I deserve it for crossing the line with the Talites in another thread :lol:

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Given you've got that and the SW200p a side by side comparison of those would be interesting, i.e. If you can actually detect the claimed improvement in optical performance in the OO mirror. 

Indeed it will. I plan to test them on M13 and M57 this evening if the clouds clear and will report back.

It was too windy and with lots of fast moving low and high cloud and appalling seeing last night to do a fair comparison but I did look at M13 through all of these scopes with the Ethos 13mm. As you would expect, the VX12 was a country mile ahead of the other two in terms of resolving power. It was a close call between the other two but I did think the stars were slightly clearer in the OO UK 8", although I am happy to admit that could just be personal bias due t my desire for that to be true :rolleyes2:

I need a clear night to do that again properly.

Archived