Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounting a 300p, any tips or techniques

How are you enjoying your VX 12 Derek?  I've been wondering about the VX14 but I reckon I would like the width of field on the VX12 more.  I felt that the narrowness of field on the 9.25" SCT (1.05 degrees with my widest eyepiece) really robbed the context provided when an object is properly framed.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3 August 2016 at 15:44, Hertford Stargazer said:

Having taken delivery of a SW 300p DS I get the feeling I've bitten off more then I can chew. I've been looking at ways of making the process of mounting it on my NEQ6 easier and less likely to cause injury to me and the scope. I've considered using a Hydraulic Folding Engine Crane, and more favorably a Hydraulic Scissor Jack Lift just to try and make the process easier. I can call on friends to help but would love to devise a method where I could manage the process on my own. I'm wondering if any seasoned 300p owners have got any tips or techniques they use to achieve a hassle free painless outcome.

Many Thanks

Neil 

I've added a dove tail to top of the rings - initially to mount th ST80 guide cope - but found it invaluable when holding the OTA in one hand and trying to tighten the bolts on the mount head with the toehr.

Then again, it's just the 200PDS - and I am 6'+ - which is easy to hold one handed.

Best method to date - I hold the OTA, dearly beloved (she tells me) hand tightens the bolts :)

8 hours ago, Commanderfish said:

How are you enjoying your VX 12 Derek?  I've been wondering about the VX14 but I reckon I would like the width of field on the VX12 more.  I felt that the narrowness of field on the 9.25" SCT (1.05 degrees with my widest eyepiece) really robbed the context provided when an object is properly framed.  

I have had virtually no use out of it since it arrived - just two or three very short sessions. The weather has been awful this summer and I have resigned myself to waiting until winter to give this scope a really good test.

That said, what little I have seen has been fantastic :smile:

13 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

Have you noticed any secondary shadow at low power?  Apparently this can be an issue at F4.  Because of it I'm back in two minds as to whether to go F4 ish or F5.3 ish.

I haven't noticed that. I might get a chance to point it at the Moon this weekend and that could show whether or not its a problem. Will let you know.

15 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

Cheers.  I'm guessing secondary shadow is not an issue for DSOs anyway.  How are you finding collimation?  Any trouble getting the secondary right?  Is it more of a collimation faff than other scopes?

Collimation is a breeze - no problem whatsoever. I replaced the cross-head collimation bolts in the secondary with bolts very similar to Bobs Knobs. The primary adjustment is really easy.

18 hours ago, iapa said:

I've added a dove tail to top of the rings - initially to mount th ST80 guide cope - but found it invaluable when holding the OTA in one hand and trying to tighten the bolts on the mount head with the toehr.

Then again, it's just the 200PDS - and I am 6'+ - which is easy to hold one handed.

Best method to date - I hold the OTA, dearly beloved (she tells me) hand tightens the bolts :)

Thats got to make things much easier. I'm not sure if the 200PDS has the same type of dovetail bar as the 300 but I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells the same one.

Archived