NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

July 31st - H Alpha - Prominences not Prominent!

paulastro

An early morning start, completely clear and I had to wait for the sun to rise.  The impressive prominences from yesterday have largely gone.  There were some very faint proms but by over-exposing on 1/2 sec exposure I did manage to bring them out - but visually they were hardly visible.  Single frames with Lunt 60 DS and Olympus E-M10 at 500 asa.  The first taken at 6.42 am (the sun doesn't rise into view until 6.35) on 1/80 sec, the second at 6.47 am on 1/2 sec.

P7310062b.jpgP7310079a.jpg

2 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

The filament is still looking good though!

Thanks Peter.  In fact if you look to the S at the filament below which is much fainter is actually quite a bit longer!  It is much fainter though and more disjointed, though I'd still think of it as a single long filament.

1 hour ago, DrRobin said:

Glad you got another shot Paul.  Proms often show up better in single stack, their bandwidth is often greater than the smaller bandwidth of a double stack scope.

Robin

Many thanks Robin, number 44, though I think tomorrow's weather is going to bring it all to a shuddering halt.  Yes, I'm aware of the prominences looking fainter in a DS system.  I suppose I should make this clearer when talking about prominences, for which my terms of reference always refer to using a double stack system.  Though I'm aware I'd get a better view of them by removing the front etalon, I never do as I have it all adjusted, clocked to the best positon and 'locked' in the best position, so I almost never remove the front etalon.

Archived