Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My vacation weeks?

N3ptune

Hey I want to do a survey.

I have the chance to place my 2 week vacations in different slots and so far those are my choices.

I can take the 2 last weeks of August, the third week the moon is hiding, and the 4th week there is almost no moon for DSOs watching.

BUT

I also can take the 4th of august and 1st of September and get 2 full weeks with almost no moon at all for the DSOs, it looks like the best deal of all, but I am scared about taking a week in September, I feel there is something wrong and I can't point it out. 

What would you do?

Thanks.

I like September, the weather is generally still good, the tourists have mostly gone, the kids are all back at school, the hunting season has not started, the shops are discounting all the stuff they didn't sell over the season, and tranquillity returns. :)

But I don't live in Canada.

Rich

When I were a young lad due to seniority in taking holidays I always ended up with a week in May and one in September. For over ten years the weather never let me down. These are still my favourite two months for holidays.

I like months with colder weather and less insects so, April, the first part of May, those are great. I took a week in October 1 time and it was a great vacation also.

(:

September should be calm also, i am tempted.

6 hours ago, RichM63 said:

I like September, the weather is generally still good, the tourists have mostly gone, the kids are all back at school, the hunting season has not started, the shops are discounting all the stuff they didn't sell over the season, and tranquillity returns. :)

But I don't live in Canada.

Rich

Hmmm, September is a difficult month for us - kids go back to school, all the retired folks come swarming, relieved the little ones have gone back to school! Britain is overcrowded.

It goes quiet here when we our four month monsoon comes in....  :D

5 hours ago, Beulah said:

Hmmm, September is a difficult month for us - kids go back to school, all the retired folks come swarming, relieved the little ones have gone back to school! Britain is overcrowded.

It goes quiet here when we our four month monsoon comes in....  :D

I don't have kids so, either ways I am not going to see kids, only school buses when they go to school. ((:  I am concerned about the monsoon (new word for me) I don't know if we have such a thing in Canada. The rain and clouds are strong in october, november, december, maybe the end of september.

But it can be safe also.

In this part of the world (UK and Ireland) you just cant bank on the weather being good at any time of the year.There was a time when you could set your watch for the good weather. That was Sept when kids go back to school. These days we cant even rely on that much anymore.

I take the weather hour by hour or even minute by minute. If i want the Sun, its easy enough to hop on a flight and head south to the Canary Islands. Even there you are not sure what the nights will be like. Hot, but often cloudy.

When i travel anywhere, i only take a set of 10x50 bins in the suitcase. Ive rarely used them. I'm too busy being the life and soul of the party with people i meet and going out with them for dinner and then indulging in a few adult beverages.

Sorry, i know this doesnt help. I just dont plan any astro holidays. I prefer to be out and about during the day sight-seeing (i could easily take my solar setup with me in a back pack) and relaxing in good company at night with good food etc.

My Solar setup:

70mm refractor 

Hershel Wedge

8-24mm Hyperion zoom EP 

Horizon 8115 tripod

solarscope.jpg

8 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

In this part of the world (UK and Ireland) you just cant bank on the weather being good at any time of the year.There was a time when you could set your watch for the good weather. That was Sept when kids go back to school. These days we cant even rely on that much anymore.

I take the weather hour by hour or even minute by minute. If i want the Sun, its easy enough to hop on a flight and head south to the Canary Islands. Even there you are not sure what the nights will be like. Hot, but often cloudy. Yeah hour by hour, that's what I am monitoring right now for a Sunday observation. (:

When i travel anywhere, i only take a set of 10x50 bins in the suitcase. Ive rarely used them. I'm too busy being the life and soul of the party with people i meet and going out with them for dinner and then indulging in a few adult beverages. Social astronomy!

Sorry, i know this doesnt help. I just dont plan any astro holidays. I prefer to be out and about during the day sight-seeing (i could easily take my solar setup with me in a back pack) and relaxing in good company at night with good food etc. Food astronomy! ((:

My Solar setup:

70mm refractor 

Hershel Wedge

8-24mm Hyperion zoom EP 

Horizon 8115 tripod

That's a nice instrument, really portable. Is it like a Coronado or a Lunt or you also can use it to watch the stars?

solarscope.jpg

But there is also a conclusion to this thread after a few days of reflection.

The solution came to me 10 minutes ago, I am going to take my 2 weeks on the 3rd and 4th of August. !

--> The reason being: I can't wait 1 more week... that's the true problem I just noticed. August is a great month, that's what I am going to do.

(((:

Archived