NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guiding software

I used to use K3CCDTools, with a philips Tuocam Pro II, and a Kit's R Us  K108 (serial relay box).

Currently, I'm trying out a SkyWatcher Synguider II, which is a stand alone guider that plugs directly into the ST-4 on my mount.  I've had mixed results from this, the bad is that I wasted alot of time trying to find guide stars, but I think this was more down to me having an incorrect workflow.  I'm not yet ready to move on from this device.  The times that I've got to lock onto a guide star, it's be fantastic.

If I had a laptop available and was looking to re-do my guiding, PHD would be my first choice now.   Lots of people are having fantastic success with it and it appears to be easier to use than K3CCDTools.  In addition, PHD is free as well.  So looks like a win-win to me.

You can't really go wrong with PHD to be honest, it simply works and if for some reason you have any issues, there is a wealth of knowledge on SGL to guide you (ooops pun) in the right direction.

That said, I only use PHD for testing as I prefer to use the guiding features in MaxIM DL but no one would buy MaxIM DL just to guide with!

Echoing above...PHD2 is the way to go initially, lots of people use it and hence support is there if things go wrong.

I had an issue of oblong stars when first using PHD2 but it turned out to be differential flexure...not PHD2 itself.

Archived