NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Silica gel sachets

Cjg

With all the sunshine appearing, now is a great time to dry out / recharge your bags of silica gel...I put all mine in a clear sandwich bag and after 30 minutes or so, the bag needs to be turned inside out to get rid of all the moisture accumulated on the inside - a couple of days like this and all my bags will be all ready for the winter. Back into the eyepiece case, scope backpack etc ready to keep my kit dry.

Chris

It takes heat (energy) to drive out the water from silica gel, a lot of it. Leaving it resting in the sunshine won't hack it I'm afraid. Best way is to put it in an oven at around 100degC for a couple of hours (don't go over 120degC).

I also read you can do this in a microwave (!) 5 minutes on full power. I have not dared to attempt this though :)

ChrisH

1 hour ago, ChrisLX200 said:

...I also read you can do this in a microwave (!) 5 minutes on full power. I have not dared to attempt this though :)

I did (5 minutes 600W) and the plastic bags/sachets melted! :(

I agree with the others that they need to go in the oven and on a more regular basis that what the sun shines in the UK. My Peli cases seem to keep a nice environment for my eyepieces but the silica soon changes colour in my ED120 & Lunt Maplin style cases requiring charging ever month or two. Humid weather during the summer doesn't help.

I should mention I use these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40g-Bags-x-10-Silica-Gel-Desiccant-Self-Indicating-Loose-Orange-to-Green-/121816283671?hash=item1c5cd0fa17:g:T1sAAOSwkZhWSbFT I'm not sure what type silica bags you use Chris so I don't want to go advising putting anything potentially flammable in your oven??

I can empty my silica out in to an oven proof bowl to re-charge then once cooled pour them back in to the bags for re-use.

Yep, use an oven.

Max of 120 degrees only applies for self indicating silica gel (the heat decomposes the indicator). A few hours pushing 90-100 degrees will work ok. 

If it's bagged then the bags may be the limiting factor for temperature - if in doubt, more time at lower temperature.

Microwaves can work but will superheat the gel and can cause the individual granules to crack or 'explode' (for want of a better term), so be careful when taking it out of the oven, and be aware you will eventually end up with dust not granules. Same restriction for encapsulation and dyes as above apply of course.

AndyG

Archived