Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CCD FW with 5 filter choice

Hi all,

I like the idea of the internal FW because i can then use the 1.25" filters keeping them close to the chip ... cheaper too ... and the only two best CCDs out there are are the Moravian and the QSI ... QSI being too pricey i'm looking at the Moravian CCD (G2-8300).

I would most certainly be imaging DSOs and NB ... so if you had the choice to slot in 5 filters, which ones would they be and why? I personally would've gone for the 7 filters option but that has just gone out of range for me :(

I'm sure there are people out there who use the FW with 5 filters in it, what do they use it for?

Thanks

L,R,G,B and Ha. Will allow you to do the DSOs (by which I assume you mean galaxies) and add some Ha. Will also allow you to do some nebula with the Ha. The other option is L, Ha, SII, OIII if by DSO you mean you want more Nebs and PNs. L would at least allow you to get some mono on galaxies.

Yeh 7 is ideal but as you say price can be prohibitive.

I have Ha, OIII, SII, L, B in mine. My setup lends itself to large nebulae rather than galaxies so this works for me.

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

Basically Galaxies, Nebs and Planetary Nebs ... i'm a tough customer :(

Then you need them all... It would be frustrating to keep changing filters over, you'll probably need a new set of flats each time and it will be difficult to keep dust out of the wheel's innards so the situation is not going to improve over time. My wheel got opened once to load the filters and that was it, it's been kept sealed ever since.

ChrisH

Compromise ............ I *think* that if I only had a 5 position filter wheel I would do the following.

L,R,B, Ha, OIII.................. I have to say that this is in NO way ideal, but my thinking would be as follows.

With Red and blue and the use of Noels actions you can easily create a synthetic green channel. With Ha and OIII you can process to get a HST style palette.... but this would not be my ideal situation. Hopefully that gives you a little wriggle room :)

OR

R,G,B,Ha and OIII - For the Ha and the OIII as above. Now for R,G,B you can create a false luminance channel from the combination of them all........

I'd either spend the money or open the wheel from time to time! I use Ha, OIII, L, R, G, B.

Galaxies and dusties need LRGB and sometimes Ha.

Emission nebulae I usually shoot in Ha, OIII, R, G, B. (No luminance. It increases star size by too much.)

Because I don't do three colour narrowband I never use S11.

On the tandem Tak we have HaLRGB on one scope and OIIILRGB on the other - but I do realise that this is cheating! :D

Olly

These really are all great ideas but i think i'll end up being frustrated with having to "work around" the real data ... i suppose i best just put my hands in my wallet and make the purchase of an external FW and deal with it :)

But then i'm a smart lad, i'll wait for the pound sterling to go strong ... or i might not :p

The big downside for the external wheel is if you need to use 2" filters then the cost shoots up.

I've considered putting my filter drawer in front of my camera as then I could switch to L on the filter wheel and have a colour filter in the drawer if I want to do RGB.

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

These really are all great ideas but i think i'll end up being frustrated with having to "work around" the real data ... i suppose i best just put my hands in my wallet and make the purchase of an external FW and deal with it :)

But then i'm a smart lad, i'll wait for the pound sterling to go strong ... or i might not :p

I think that if you want to wait for the pound to become strong then the main thing you need on your side is youth.

Olly

I'm in a similar situation myself with a Moravian G3 camera as I had to go with the internal FW version which is only available with 5 x 2" slots (using the external 7 position FW  in combination with my OAG etc puts the ccd chip too far away from my corrector).

To start with I used LRGBHa  but now I've bought an OIII filter I've opted for a second carousel which I'm going to load up with Ha + OIII (and maybe one day SII and/or something more exotic). In an ideal/cheaper world I'd also buy another Ha filter to put in the first carousel for galaxy imaging. The idea being to swap over from LRGB(Ha) to narrowband carousels without having to re mount the filters (and keep the unused carousel in a sealed plastic box). How easy this will be remains to be seen, I imagine I will have to redo flats every time I change the carousel but it shouldn't be too bad if I only swap them a few times a year...

Paul

Archived