SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First time video and pic of Saturn

Hi guys

Well I finally managed to get some sky exposed and had a look at Saturn with the kit I bought off bigal1

A little rough but the seeing wasn't great and clouds were coming and going at a fair pace

Stacked it through registax and cleaned it up boosted color etc like I say a bit rough but as a first attempt I'm happy with it

Any thoughts and advice feedback would be welcome good or bad

Best regards Baz

00_27_43.jpg

00_27_42.jpg

00_27_41.jpg

Great first attempt Baz better than my firsts on saturn :) , there is as much a learning curve to post processing your images as there is to actually capturing them i found so once you get to grips with your software i'm sure your results will get better and better plus of course sky conditions play a big part in image quality but thats just a matter of getting out as much as you can till you get that "perfect" night .

Hi Barry, what are you using to capture this?

i actually did the same last night although not good enough to bother stacking yet :(

i know conditions are not great this time of year, but im having focusing and barlow issues with mine at the moment.

Well done

Hi mate I used sharp cap to capture and registax to stack them I git some really clear ones last night but I didn't have the tracking set up correctly so it wouldn't stack plus I'm not to familiar with registax as yet

If you are asking what scope it's a Sky-Watcher 130 p 650 focal and the camera is a converted Microsoft lifecam it's a starter setup really but as a newbie I'm only just finding my way about and already spent way more time and money than I had planned ??

I don't get tired of looking at Saturn for some reason

I had the same problem last night through my other scope which is the same scope but with a longer focal length and I've had a look at it today and the collimating was way out so I've redone it and I'm waiting for the next clear night to test

Regards Baz

Try downloading PIPP and running your captured video through it first , it has a feature that centres the planet in each frame which makes stacking software's job much easier , if the object is wandering around the frame Reg can get a little flustered and throw up multiple images like this.

Alternatively try using the simpler (and these day better) program called AutoStakkert 2 for stacking and save Reg for it's Wavelets function .

Both excellent and free programs  ... https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/

http://www.autostakkert.com/

Thanks for these programs I've got them now and yep they are a lot easier to use and the pipp program is great and below is a rough pic taken in a small window in the weather this week and processed through those two programs you suggested and not really familiar with any of them shows even the least experienced of us can get some sort of success

Many thanks guys

Regards Baz

best.jpg

sat2.jpg

Archived