SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Foot pain.

N3ptune

Hello, I am writing this thread because of this problem I have... foot pain. After a few hours of observation, I have tension and swarmings in my foots. (I use an equatorial mount so I have to stand of course and sometimes even on wood blocks )

Now I am searching for some solutions to help me ease that pain: Maybe a special pair of shoes for standing long hours.. or perhaps a gel floor mat I could stand on? (Or a mix of both)

(Building a dobsonian base for my telescope, not sure about that option yet)

If anybody had any positive experience or tips for this situation.

thanks.

These are usually recommended for dob owners http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/src/gbase/cid/XSJZXIGFSA2NLVSQKC7QHJGAPYPPH9OY/coopers-of-stortford-utility-seat-prodst06474i/?LGWCODE=6474;103993;5253&gclid=CP6I5uDi1c0CFQeVGwodJk8Jow but I'll be honest they aren't much use for EQ mounts as the focuser is up and down depending on where the mount is pointing. If you don't have rotating rings this can be all over the place to boot. I use EQ mounts from time to time also so feel your pain but I just grin and bear it.

Observation-seats with adjustable-heights are available - or can be constructed. And many use drummer's-stools, also with adjustable-height.

You might also wish to consult a good rheumatologist. Ongoing foot or leg pains can be indicative of some easily treatable conditions.

Enjoy -

Dave

I grin and bear it right now, :p

Spaceboy

The creation of a dobsonian mount is possible, so I could use a chair like the one in the previous link, but it's a lot of work to design and build. I might do it some day just to have the choice between an equatorial mount or a dobsonian.

The chair may not be the perfect solution with the EQ, I agree.

Dave

The situation began with me doing jogging, my own diagnostic say it's plantar fasciitis, a common foot inflammation situation among joggers. Standing 3 hours do not help recovering from that. But my condition is better now then it was a few month ago (at least a good news). My previous observation lasted 4 hours, maybe that's why :p ,there was no moon so I had to put extra energy to watch the DSO's.

Observation-seats with adjustable-heights are available - or can be constructed. And many use drummer's-stools, also with adjustable-height.

I don't know if it's possible, the stool will need to be really high and sometimes I have to lean forward the instrument (on wood blocks) because the enormous focuser needs to be oriented to the interior of the telescope especially when I watch high to the zenith, otherwise it's impossible to get the instrument in balance.

It was a hard to learn how to use the BKP 200 on EQ5, it took time but it's ok, I can now use a RA motor on it and I don't have any more balancing problems.

--> I think my shoes might be the problem.

Lordy! That must be some telescope! Maybe a hydraulic cherry-picker?

Sorry to hear of your ankles getting pounded into powder in the name of 'health!' You might ask a nurse in hospital what type of shoes they wear - they have to be on their feet for long periods. I inherited arthritis myself, followed by nerve-damage. I know how much fun you're not having!

Get well,

Dave

I will ask a nurse definitely next week. :p

It's not a 18 inches telescope has you know.. it's small for most people but It's not easy to manage for me. An equatorial mount is not a user friendly mechanical device either, it takes time to appreciate like a jazz album  (some jazz albums) 

You think it could be arthritis?

I appreciate the work involved but I think if you go down the Dob route, you won't look back.  Assuming you have set up your kit each time you use it and you don't keep it permanently set up, I'm sure once you start using a Dob set up, you'll wonder why you didn't do it years ago.  Most of the time I'm using my Dob, I'm sat down and makes the whole process much more comfortable as well as having the benefit of being able to set up in seconds.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orthotic-Insoles-Arch-Support-Back-heel-Pain-Treatment-of-Plantar-fasciitis-/252269978064?nav=SEARCH

I use something like this for my plantar fasciitis and it helps a little.  I also have a heel spur on one side so maybe look into that in case that is your problem too.  I find that as long as I wear my insoles all the time I can keep on top of the pain problem mostly.  If the problem is really bad, there are also special splints that you can wear at night in bed that can help the situation.  There are also injections you can get for plantar fasciitis pain.

13 hours ago, N3ptune said:

I will ask a nurse definitely next week. :p

It's not a 18 inches telescope has you know.. it's small for most people but It's not easy to manage for me. An equatorial mount is not a user friendly mechanical device either, it takes time to appreciate like a jazz album  (some jazz albums) 

You think it could be arthritis?

" You think it could be arthritis?"

Getting a diagnosis over the internet is not truly advisable...:D

I'd be seeing a rheumatologist - regardless. What I have is 'gouty-arthritis.' And where this comes from is surprising to many, if not most, people. It is otherwise known as the "Mediterranean Familial Fever." It is passed along genetically from generation-to-generation by people who have roots going to what is now coastal Italy. Often when I meet a fellow afflicted-person, I'll ask them if they have a relative who may be partly Italian. Most often they'll dismiss this - only to suddenly remember they ".....well, there was that old Auntie from.....Italy!" And then I'll explain what's going on and how.

A rheumatologist confirmed what was going on, and prescribe medication to help keep it in check. Only a good rheumatologist can get you a definitive answer, and hopefully a simple way to deal with it so it bothers one the very least. Arthritis takes quite a few forms. And certain things most take for granted can make it get worse - certain foods, for instance. Or lack of vitamins.

Good hunting -

Dave

Newts on an EQ mount are a non starter for me as my back cannot handle the uncomfortable angles.

You may want to consider a scope that you can observe through from the back which will allow you to observe seated....

Can I ask what scope it is? If it isn't too big you could probably get away with using a pier vixengpeq-1419420446-41328.jpg and adjustable stool. Bang on rotations rings http://www.astro-baby.com/articles/rotating rings/Rotating Rings Project.htm and you'd be laughing.

The Vixen piers are quite low but I'm sure any brand pier would do as you could always cut it down to a comfortable size.

Gazabone
You may be right, at the begining the dobsonian did not spoke to me very much.. but I am more and more open to it. Not to say i don't want to use the EQ mount anymore because the RA clock drive is great for sketching.

But to sit down would be nice and save my foots a little bit.

But i am not going to buy another dobsonian telescope with goto features, what i have right now is great.

g30rg313
Thanks for the suggestion, the insoles. If I decide to get another pair eventually, we never know.

Dave
I could have a arthritis at a low level, it's possible because whenever I use a hammer for a few minutes or holding the gas weed heater for maybe 20 minutes, I experience joint pain, wrist pain, hand pain.  

But one thing is for sure, i am not going to take medications for that, ill just stretch and warmup my articulations like last night. (Results were great, maybe the insoles were responsible for the problem too)

Stub Mandrel
I am standing on gravel, irregular floor most of the time. I don't hate the mat idea, it could act like a step to reach the EP if fixed over wood layers.

dweller25
Most of the time it's pleasent to use the EQ mount sometimes it's hard, I would put my actual newtonian tube on a dobsonian home made custom base before I buy a STC or a Refractor. The dobson mount will cost less then 100$, for a dobson.

spaceboy
The dobson project seems like a better idea then getting another type of EQ mount. The mount on the picture is nice, thanks for sharing it.

--> The rotating rings is a good and easy solution to help me with the tube, I am not really strugguling anymore with that situation but it's a good idea really.

Thanks for all the ideas (even if I seem to reject all of it, I could change my mind tomorrow)

On this image, this is it, even with the wood blocks, the eyepiece is hard to reach.
1JKMN6Q.jpg

Archived