Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'Panamerica,' round two, HaRGB.

ollypenrice

Some mosaics play nicely and go together easily. This wasn't one of them! I ended up assembling the RGB panels by hand after co-registering and calibrating in Registar. The panel with Deneb in it was OK (though it's very hard to hold down) but the panels well away from it to the left and below had huge Deneb flares to deal with. Anyway we got there in the end.

We were particularly interested in the very obscure dusty streaks and the huge, opaque dust nebula to the right of the Pelican. To be honest I didn't know it was there so that was fun.

Done with SGL member Paul. Next step is to head to the left but we were attacked by thunderstorms last night!

I think that if you click on the image you should find a button lower left to see a half sized version.

NGC4000%20WIDE.jpg

There is no luminance in this. I tend to feel it makes the star size much harder to control.

Olly

Just now, Physopto said:

Really nice image Olly. Heck you put in some effort on these pics. Are you thinking of trying to add Luminance detail at a later date?

Derek

A labour of love, Derek! I wasn't thinking of adding luminance. It might bring something to the dark structures but I feel these widefields need tight little stars in order to let the nebulae do the talking, so I'm a bit of an Ha(OIII)RGB man on emission nebulae. One day I'll do a careful comparison to be sure.

We do have a dusty LRGB thing going on on the other scope, too, but over in Cepheus.

Olly

I was thinking about a point you made regarding good scopes. Saying that a good scope will show less bloom or smaller stars compared to a less well figured or lens of less well finished  optical quality. Not exactly your words but close ish! I have yet to try out my Baby Q and compare it to the WO132.

Derek

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

I was thinking about a point you made regarding good scopes. Saying that a good scope will show less bloom or smaller stars compared to a less well figured or lens of less well finished  optical quality. Not exactly your words but close ish! I have yet to try out my Baby Q and compare it to the WO132.

Derek

In my (anecdotal) experience big scopes usually handle big stars better than small scopes - in broad agreement with theory - but who knows how a particular optic will handle a particular target? I wish I knew...

I do know I loved my Baby Q though, and Sara hasn't thrown it away yet! :headbang: I hope you'll love yours.

Olly

Excellent Olly!

Yes, please post the section on the left- I'm trying to nail down a neb I see in the OIII, it may be the one across from the gulf near that bright star. The neb edge appears and is filled with stars- I just came in from looking at it again with the 10". My guess was about 1.5 degrees from the inside Gulf edge to the other neb edge...

Any thoughts appreciated- very nice work guys.

Archived