Jump to content

Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13 - What camera settings?


Recommended Posts

I'm now ready to have my first go at DSO imaging and thought I'd start with M13.  So, the question is - what camera settings should I try starting off with?  

I have a DSLR attached directly to a SW200p with guiding available.  Moderate light pollution (can't see Milky Way) and no LP filter (I want to make sure all the kit works in my back garden first, before taking it to a darker sky location).  

Thanks  

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with above. You should also check the histogram on the camera display. Keep the histogram peak in the left half of the screen, but separated from the left edge.

Good luck

 

Wim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For reference, I got this at ISO 1600 and 30 seconds at about f6.4 (ED120 with reducer).

27175508270_bbfbf39b1f_b.jpg

These shots are pretty much straight out of the camera. This was from a dark site though, I'd recommend ISO 800 to start with.  Your exposure time may be limited by light pollution, if your subs are too bright you could try ISO 400. Below that I think the camera can start discarding photons.

Hope your testing goes well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi John,

I have an SW200PDS and use a Canon 500D (unmodded). I've had some good success with ISO 800 and 360 second exposures on M3 (guided). I use an LP filter, without it I'd probably be at around 3-4 minutes at new moon. The example below was taken with the moon around 50% a couple of months ago and is the result of stacking 28 subs and processing in Pixinsight. Good Luck with your attempts at M13. Richard

M3 Processed v3.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/07/2016 at 14:36, Starwiz said:

I'm now ready to have my first go at DSO imaging and thought I'd start with M13.  So, the question is - what camera settings should I try starting off with?  

I have a DSLR attached directly to a SW200p with guiding available.  Moderate light pollution (can't see Milky Way) and no LP filter (I want to make sure all the kit works in my back garden first, before taking it to a darker sky location).  

Thanks  

John

As a starting point here's my first attempt at M13

http://astronomy.cjdawson.com/gallery/M13.html

It was a single frame exposure, so you should be able to get some great detail.  As you have an F5 scope, you'll be able to cut down the exposure time to get the same result.  In that image, I didn't know how to stack, next time I go for that target, I'm going for multiple exposures for sure, so that I can stack them and reduce the noise in the image.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2016 at 21:23, RSM said:

Hi John,

I have an SW200PDS and use a Canon 500D (unmodded). I've had some good success with ISO 800 and 360 second exposures on M3 (guided). I use an LP filter, without it I'd probably be at around 3-4 minutes at new moon. The example below was taken with the moon around 50% a couple of months ago and is the result of stacking 28 subs and processing in Pixinsight. Good Luck with your attempts at M13. Richard

M3 Processed v3.png

 

Thanks Richard.  

Nice image.  

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2016 at 21:49, cjdawson said:

As a starting point here's my first attempt at M13

http://astronomy.cjdawson.com/gallery/M13.html

It was a single frame exposure, so you should be able to get some great detail.  As you have an F5 scope, you'll be able to cut down the exposure time to get the same result.  In that image, I didn't know how to stack, next time I go for that target, I'm going for multiple exposures for sure, so that I can stack them and reduce the noise in the image.

Thanks.  I had a go at M27 last night, but didn't get the focusing right, so I think that's got to be what I improve on next.  

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2016 at 09:14, cjdawson said:

Can't recommend a bahtinov mask enough to help with the focusing issue.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bahtinov-focus-masks/starsharp-bahtinov-focus-masks.html

I use of those, combined with an electric focusser to get from close to spot on.   It's made a real difference.  If only I could get enough time at my scope.

Here's my home-made attempt.......  

Three thin pieces of balsa wood lifted from Mrs Starwiz's dolls house suppliers.  Finally sprayed with clear lacquer to reduce the dust.  

I can't think of a better way to spend a cloudy evening, cutting balsa with a blunt Stanley knife.  On second thoughts I can actually, I'm not quite that sad. :happy7: 

John 

20160708_205804.jpg

20160708_205827.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2016 at 21:10, Starwiz said:

Three thin pieces of balsa wood lifted from Mrs Starwiz's dolls house suppliers.

Ha ha ha.  I meant to say supplies, not suppliers.  Taking from the drawer upstairs is OK, but breaking into warehouses at 2 am isn't my thing :icon_biggrin:

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

This was taken in my early years of Deep space imaging. only 35x10sec iso 1600. before guiding and before upgrading my alt-az mount:P but if you have a DSLR put your settings on manual and ISO tipically on 800 but you can go higher (1600 max). But make sure you dither.

Cheers,

Darien

98dcc8df0fa1d3d0408cb8c0d4b35254.1824x0_q100_watermark.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.