Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Noctilucent Cloud ? from London this morning June 29

On a 'bathroom break' this morning I thought I saw the NLC centred on the NNE horizon from SW London and took this poorish photo via my camera in 'night mode' [~4s @ 400ISO].  It was the characteristic electric blue colour and Capella as usual is recorded in the fov which gives scale amongst the sodium lit clouds directly over London.

Are NLC been reported this far south currently?

Been NLC watching for over a decade but few sighting in last two years of either post dusk in NNW or pre dawn events in NNE around summer solstice.

Nytecam

nlc160629-0245bstmg.jpg

Back in April we had a spectacular sight stretching far across the horizon towards sunset, I was busy cooking when I noticed the clouds had a rather nice colour so I took the sight in visually for as long as I could in between not burning the food and by the time I took a photo they had somewhat diminished...i'd guess I captured about 20% of the clouds in the photo below but the view stretched much further across the horizon. These are the 2 photos I took, my daughter has video somewhere.

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

10 hours ago, Bruce Leeroy said:

Back in April we had a spectacular sight stretching far across the horizon towards sunset, I was busy cooking when I noticed the clouds had a rather nice colour so I took the sight in visually for as long as I could in between not burning the food and by the time I took a photo they had somewhat diminished...i'd guess I captured about 20% of the clouds in the photo below but the view stretched much further across the horizon. These are the 2 photos I took, my daughter has video somewhere.

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

Those are what are known as iridescent clouds. There were some spectacular displays back in early March or early April. Probably April.  

Observing NC requires clear skies - been in very short supply here this 'summer'!

Like others, I do not see NC in the images, NC tend to be more luminous-looking, and for my location anyway, lower to the horizon - here's some I got back in July 2010

PFS7_P1000681.jpg

Archived