SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aldi 8x40 Binoculars £19.99

Just been in my local store and have these on special.

Had a look and identical in style and build to the Opticron Adventurer Steve Tonkin tested, but in 8x40.

The paid I tried looked well made and collimation was ok to eye, bargain at twenty quid.

48 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

I've just got back from Aldi and saw those! They also had 60mm 20-60x spotting scopes for the same price. really tempted but managed to resist....tempted to go back though.

Chris

I was tempted too, but have 8x40's already,
still knawing just to get another pair though.

The spotting scope was not of the same quality as the binoculars, tried both and thought the spotter was a bit rubbish by comparison.

I had the 8x60 Bressers from Lidl a couple of years ago and didn't feel they were much good optically as the prisms were very small for the optical train. Mechanically all the newer 'cheap' Bressers I have seen have a flexible plastic eyepiece bridge which moves if you breathe on it. Add that to the stiff eyepiece cups which don't stay folded down and it's a recipe for disappointment.

The older ones had a metal bridge and softer eyecups, they were much more rigid so much better to use and 3/4 the price too! Still got two pairs.

Pity - I used to recommend the 10x50 to everyone.

AndyG 

Alan White.....I had a peek ( through the glass cabinet)  at the Maginon 8x40's  in my local store but don't see any similarity to the Adventurers, unless their stocking several versions of the  8x40s or specifically,  an Aldi branded 8x40? Their definitely Maginon 8x40s here.

21 hours ago, Charic said:

Alan White.....I had a peak ( through the glass cabinet)  at the Maginon 8x40's  in my local store but don't see any similarity to the Adventurers, unless their stocking several versions of the  8x40s or specifically,  an Aldi branded 8x40? Their definitely Maginon 8x40s here.

If you look at the ones Steve Tonkin reviewed at £50 and the Maginon that were in my local store at Benfleet, they were smaller but identical.
They were very good quality for the price.

They looked just like this Opticron pair Charic!

http://www.tringastro.co.uk/opticron-adventurer-10x50-binoculars-7447-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4827BRDJvpbVuKvx-rIBEiQA2_CzsBSGfla_K7JCQSUdA_co2ZVss3ni4uSxi215OHqYpmkaAr9c8P8HAQ

On 6/29/2016 at 20:40, Charic said:

@Alan, your absolutely right, they do look similar, now I have the correct link!
My search 'Tonkin Adventurer'  displayed some Opticron Roof prisms, hence my comment, my mistake, apologies.

Charic

Mo appology needed, thought you may have found a roof prism one, why can they not name types differently.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived