Date - 24/06/16

Time - 03:00

Lunar Phase - Waning Gibbious 79% Luminosity

Limiting Magnitude - 7.9

Transparency - 4

Seeing - Very poor

Equipment - Celestron Nexstar 6SE, O-lll, Moon/light pollution filter

Eyepieces - 40mm

Additional info - This morning was probably one of the toughest sessions I've had due to cloud coverage and difficulties in aligning because of this.
Nevertheless I got some lovely views of M57 my only target for my 2 hour session.
I chose my 40mm EP for my sketch because of the lovely star formations around the Nebula and I felt seeing conditions weren't adequate enough to allow higher magnifications.
I managed to eek out some nice detail and what I felt was a good representation of what I observed.
I wish I had clearer skies and no moonlight but I'm not complaining definitely worth the effort especially after 3 weeks of continuous cloud cover, clear skies to you all ✨??☄

image.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Wow! Nice sketch. :)

Did you really see this with a 40mm EP? I normally need something higher to start to see it. 

It was difficult to make out at first with my vixen 40mm but after 1 hour of observation and a lot of looking away I could make out the ring of gas and wisps at each side.

i also tried to use my O-lll without much luck I had much more detail with my moon/light filter which allows a lot more light through ☺️

1 hour ago, mariosi said:

Hello Richard, 

very nice sketch of Ring Nebula M57! 

Kind Regards 

Marios 

Hello Marios,

Thank you again you have inspired me to create this sketch, I tried to do your technique justice ☺️

Kind regards

Richard

58 minutes ago, des anderson said:

Smashing sketch,lots of detail and using a 40mm eyepiece.Des

Hi Des,

Thank you it was a tough one using the 40mm maybe I would have been better off using my 25mm plossl or even with my 2x Barlow.

But I like my 40mm because you get the stars surrounding the Nebula as well as the space inbetween which I think adds depth to the sketch and almost looks as if your looking at the night skie.

Much more pleasing to look at then a round circle were everything is squashed in just my personal taste I suppose ☺️

kind regards

Richard

8 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

I like what you have produced and agree it makes a pleasing composition with the surrounding star field.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you that's great to hear, sometimes magnification isn't everything, I thought go with what's pleasing to the eye and what feels right even though it was a good slog getting the detail it was well worth it ☺️

Kind regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, todd8137 said:

Nice sketch am suprised that the filter did not kill the view esp with a 40mm the ring takes lots of power 

great work 

pat 

Thank you Pat for you compliment.

It was certainly one of my most challenging sessions and it's true I did find the O-lll a bit much for this particular object.

I will probably sketch it again at a later date but using a much higher magnification and hopefully a better quality EP.

Richard

1 hour ago, Richard Hather said:

Thank you Pat for you compliment.

It was certainly one of my most challenging sessions and it's true I did find the O-lll a bit much for this particular object.

I will probably sketch it again at a later date but using a much higher magnification and hopefully a better quality EP.

Richard

Seeing is always the killer but to be honest sketches give a more accurate image of what you seemed the ep that's why I to,love to sketch  as a sketch is me personal and although I love these great images posted on sgl it's not what we really see I look forward to more of your sketches 

pat

5 hours ago, todd8137 said:

Seeing is always the killer but to be honest sketches give a more accurate image of what you seemed the ep that's why I to,love to sketch  as a sketch is me personal and although I love these great images posted on sgl it's not what we really see I look forward to more of your sketches 

pat

I've just had a session last night 4 new sketches coming up I'm very pleased with them .

Richard

Archived