Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet Another Power and USB Distribution Box

Gina

Having bought a StarTech.com Mountable Rugged Industrial 7 Port USB Hub I now need a new USB and power distribution box.  I bought the new USB hub as I was getting problems with my previous powered hub and this was highly recommended as the most reliable and best.  I'm hoping I can make a box that can be used with my several imaging rigs which will be on my EQ8 mount viz. :-

1. MN190 with ZWO ASI185MC
  2. MN190 telescope with filter wheel and Atik 460EX mono plus guiding
  3. Triple imaging rig - 3 scopes with 3 460EX mono cameras and guiding
  4. Triple widefield imaging rig - 3 lenses with 3 460EX mono cameras and probably guiding

The mount has a separate power supply from the warm room but needs USB control.  The ZWO camera will need a direct connection to my imaging laptop as it's USB3.  It uses USB power.  The MN190 has remote focussing and that needs a USB connection and power.  There is also a dew heater.  Total - 2 USB and 2 power.

Rig 2. adds the FW, 460EX and guiding camera - that's 3 USB and 2 power.

Rigs 3. & 4. also use the EQ8 mount and hence one USB2 while the scopes or lenses add remote fosussing with one Arduino requiring a USB and power.  The cameras, 3 USB and 3 power.  Total - 5 USB and 5 power (including power for dew heaters).

The simplest way of mounting the USB and power box would be on the mount but if it were mounted on the MN190 scope or the bases of the triple imaging rigs the cabling can be reduced in length and go directly to the cameras and focussing motors etc. without needing to use a flexible umbilical.  This would improve the overall reliability by eliminating cable flexing and connector "wiggling".

Ijust finished my PowerPanel v2.0 and I am still in the process of finding the right way of attaching it to the mount. I know that you are talking about a permanent setup and mine is not, but I can't wait to see what solution you come up with or if other forum members can post how they attach their box that would be great :)

In my case I use a lunchbag (that acts as a carryon case and is also good for weather proofing) that I velcroed to the side of the mount. I does work nicely but I have to be careful and monitor the cables when the mount does its meridian flip.

PowerPanelv2Final1.jpg

A litlle bit of work to finish the cutout aesthetic (the white foam is showing)... but the proof of concept is there....

Archived