Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Big Plans, Help Needed!

So everthing is going better than expected. Eye picked up from post office this morning.

After some experimenting and taking apart the eyepiece i have found the focal plane sits about 2mm away from the field stop in the direction of the eye lens.

Size 4 text on microsoft word printed onto overhead projector slide. Cut to fit conveniently into circular recess on the top of the field stop. Reassemble eyepice and there it is!

Even without telescope, jut viewing through the yepiece in daylight revealed sharp black text almost perfectly in focus. ☺

Now just to decide on a font, then delicately glue the acetate into place. I will try to take a photo through the eyepiece when i am done.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick pictures, one taken through assembled eyepiece looking at computer screen.

Think a bold font may come out cleaner but the moon might do a good job of cleaning up the mucky bits.

Please dont share these pictures around too much. You never know whose watching!!

20160610_170728.jpg

20160610_170313.jpg

20160610_170348.jpg

Good result - hope you get the response you at looking for :icon_biggrin:

If it does not work, you could always fall back on asking Tim Peake to trail a banner from the ISS with a similar message on it !

So hopefully the 20th of this month will be a clear night and I can test it out for real! :happy7:

Im a huge fan of the iss idea! I wonder how big the banner would have to be.....

Eyepiece sorted, ring sorted, trip to dark skies for her birthday and full moon august 16-20th sorted! Just praying for clear skies. Will post an update end of august.

Thanks for everybodys help and advice.

Mike

Archived