NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Midnight ( in the ) garden.

What a night, just wait until midnight and the giant plunger of darkness falls. Started off with the first very bright ISS pass, just looking south at 10.15 and a bright fireball. Horizontal path, some trail from the east to the west along the southern sky. 

I'm not a scope reviewer, but 4" of ancient achro did the best job here last night. Mars showed detail from the start with areas of albido and darker areas through the surface.

Some good views of high Hercules waiting for Cygnus and Cepheus to climb a bit. Σ2816 is in the centre of IC 1396. It's lovely to spot this delicate triple at x50, I think it's a fabulous hidden treasure, colours described as a white star between a green and violet one. Best have a look and decide !
Alfirk (β Ceph) again a lovely sight at x50. If light pollution plagues you, then these stars are just right. 
Had a scan around , clusters were OK for the sky conditions and it was pleasing to show the contrast to get the fainter stuff. 
Packed in at 1 when clouds filtered in ,
Clear skies !
Nick.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Nick,

Your way in front of me this year in the clear nights, I have not made double figures in two and half months. Great report as we expect from you and interesting that it started when the report from a few days ago finished, all I can report is, it's raining, again.

Alan

Archived