Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron CPC 925 XLT versus Celestron C9.25 SCT VX Advanced GOTO

I cannot see the downsides of a goto EQ mount vs goto alt-az fork, for an SCT. Some might say meridian flip is an issue, but even on my non-goto Vixen Great Polaris EQ mount I do not feel that is an issue with my C8. Planetary imaging (especially if you want to make an animation of Jupiter) is easier with an EQ mount too

"Cable tangle" isn't an issue - it's the same for both eq and alt/az and is just something that any mount has to deal with (or not). You need to understand what you're trying to do, and which is the appropriate mount to do it with. The above ota's are identical - but the tracking method is different - so you need to ask yourself "why do I want alt/az tracking over equatorial?" or visa versa.

The 925 is optimised for imaging (see specs) - that's you're first criteria for choosing amount - you want to take pictures. Which leads to your second criteria - these ota's are best for imaging planets (short exposure), but can be reduced quite effectively for dso imaging (long exposure). And that's your key criteria - which mount type is best for long exposure or for short exposure photography?

Neither mount is necessarily "better" - but one is more appropriate than the other for what you want to do. For LE choose equatorial cos once accurately polar aligned it will track in a single plane - you need this for dso imaging. For planetary imaging alt/az is fine with SE cos the planets are close, and bright, and exposures are sub second, so rotation effects are negligible, and tracking in two planes isn't an issue.

As for chord wrap - the CPC can be set to not wrap the chord - I don't know what setting the AVX has though. Hth :)

Tangle, what tangle?  I can transfer this zipped up loom between any scope set up I like.  As mentioned, the decision is what type of mount do you want, EQ or ALT-AZ or both together as in my photo.

FC3A6852.JPG

Cable wrap is not an issue with the AVX although it caused me a few problems when I had the CPC. On the CPC the power cord moves around as the scope moves but on the AVX it is not affected by the scope movement. Additionally to what has already been said, the AVX is much easier to move about and there are no issues about the use of cameras etc hitting the mount. The space between the end of the OTA and the mount on the CPC is small so you may have problems with higher targets when a camera and other equipment such as a flip mirror is attached.

Peter

Archived