NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Considering Atik 314L - Some questions from DSLR user.

AlistairW

Hello,

I am considering a Atik 314L, but coming form a DSLR background I have a few questions:

• With my current set up plus DSLR, I start by doing a 1 star alignment (I am on a fixed pier so no polar alignment each time). I do this using Stellarium and EQMOD.
  • I then slew to my target by selecting in Stellarium and use Astrotortilla to plate solve via Backyard EOS.

So what is the equivalent using the Atik. My questions are:

• Is the 1 star alignment going to be more tricky as I won't see as much of the sky ?
  • Can I use Astrotortilla to Platesolve via Artemis Capture ?

I guess how does my current DSLR routine change with the Atik ?

Thanks

Alistair

I made the leap around a year ago.  The biggest difference you will notice is the difference in chip size.  I use SGP for my Atik 383.  Instead of 'Live View' you will be using some sort of 'Frame and Focus' routine.  You take repeated 5 second exposures, assess focus, make an adjustment, assess focus and so on.  You pick it up very quickly.  

I also use this method for centering in exactly the way you describe at the moment.  Do the initial slew, set off frame and focus and then do small adjustments to get the alignment star bang in the middle then synch.  I guess whether or not you find the star on the chip straight away will depend upon how accurate your mount and polar alignment is.  I always get the target star somewhee on the chip, but I do have a 383 which is bigger.  You could make sure your finder guider is well aligned.  But how about plate solving which is easiest of all.  SGP has a built in plate solver which is probably worth the price of the program alone.

Is it as simple as:

Using Artemis Capture for Frame and Focus.

Then use something like Astro Photography Tool (or SGP) for the sequencing and capture. (Think both of these have plate solving built in). I have only played around with APT, but I believe it supports CCDs.

Thanks

Alistair

Sorry to keep 'banging on' about SGP, but it does frame and focus too - indeed it does just about everything - it communicates with PHD2 for guiding and it will automate meridian flips (if you have an Ascom mount).  I don't use Artemis.  I know some like it - @ollypenrice being one - and who am I to quibble with him?  But I find SGP more intuitive.  It will control temperature and a whole host of other things.  It will allow you to dither - Artemis will only do that if you have an Atik guide camera I believe.  

Moving to CCD will make a big difference to your imaging - after the initial disorientation.  Have you had a play with different options on the Astronomy tools site?  Try different targets with your telescope and different camera combinations.  I did consider starting off with a smaller chip camera, but I am glad that I went for the Kodak 8300 in the end.  You are going to be spending a lot of time capturing and processing this data you know.  Best to be as happy as you can be with it.

By the way, when you get your camera (or even a bit before) you can download a fully functional version of SGP that will work for (I believe) 45 days before you need to buy a licence.  It might even work with your DSLR...

I use ARTEMIS and really like its simplicity but, as stated, it doesn't work with dithering "out of the box". I have a 414EX which has a smaller chip than the 383 and I did find that I was missing the alignment stars when setting up. But, by spending a bit more time on polar alignment and making sure my finder was aligned accurately before I started, I could slew to the star, adjust through the finder if needed and then centre on the capture screen in Artemis - and do the same for each alignment star. 

Alignment stars? what are they? ;)

Polar align then plate-solve. Job done. FWIW, I use APT which does nearly everything that SGP does apart from mosaic plans and automated meridian flips.

I completely agree about the larger chip size of the 8300 - it will match the WO GT81 very nicely.

I moved to an Atik 314L+ from a DSLR some 4 years ago. I have to say that it did need a different kind of working and it took a little bit of getting used to. The biggest thing with that move is size of chip..... the 314L+ is very small compared to the DSLR, but on the flip side, it's so sensitive and picks up so much data I am sure that you will be grinning from ear to ear when the subs start rolling in! A mono CD is so versatile with regards to being able to do narrowband imaging as well :)

Software is an interesting one..... for some time I used Artemis (Atiks own software) and it's easy enough to use. It has no frills and just does what it says and it does it with ease and intuition. Life certainly gets easier (after the initial learning curve) if you move to something like SGPro...... fantastic software that captures data, dithers, plate solves and focuses all in one package (software add on's and hardware add on's required though). 

I would say get used to the CCD using Artemis and then once you are happy with it consider whether you feel you would benefit from a move onto more comprehensive software that will do more within the package.

Hope that helps :)

I used the 314lL and Astrotortilla is great with this camera once set up - a cooled CCD is great compared to uncooled and although a small chip dim objects leapt out with relatively short exposures with this camera  and low noise at -20 C some nights!- great chip! -best wishes Tony

Archived