Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3m usb cable that works?

ASI120MM under PHD2

Hi the cable that come with the camera works fine but it is too short. I've tried both a USB extension and a new 3m cable. Both give either unreliable (you need to wiggle the connectors) or noisy images. Does anyone know of a 3m cable that will work? I se that ZWO don't do 3m cables so maybe 2m is the limit....  It's a USB server/printer cable. Not necesarilly ZWO but one that works over 3m would be fine.

TIA

15 hours ago, RuralBill said:

My ZWO USB 3.0 camera will not work on anything over 1.8M, on USB 3.0, but on USB 2 it works fine up to 10m on a repeater cable.

not sure why.....!

Bill

Probably because with usb 3.0 it's operating at a much higher data rate though I wouldn't have thought you should be limited to such a short cable. There's probably a reason for the problem and probably a solution to it! Why have a more expensive usb 3.0 rated device and only run it at usb 2.0 speeds?

Louise

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Probably because with usb 3.0 it's operating at a much higher data rate though I wouldn't have thought you should be limited to such a short cable. There's probably a reason for the problem and probably a solution to it! Why have a more expensive usb 3.0 rated device and only run it at usb 2.0 speeds?

Louise

I have no choice but to run at lower speeds, as I said it will not work on a longer cable, and I like to do my imaging from my warm room some 7m away.

there are lots of laptops where the ZWO cameras won't work at all on the USB 3.0 chipsets present, I had a Lenovo one and it wouldn't work at all on that via USB 3 but was fine on USB 2.....

i now use an HP one and it works, but only up to 1.8m which is the supplied cable length that came with the camera, any longer and problems start, I even bought a 12v powered USB 3.0 hub, and still no good on lengths over 1.8m, contacted ZWO and they said that it was down to incompatibility issues with certain USB 3.0 chipsets.

so just because you have USB 3.0 don't assume that the ZWO cameras will work with them.... That's my experience anyway, and I don't think I am alone.

Cheers

Bill

12 minutes ago, RuralBill said:

I have no choice but to run at lower speeds, as I said it will not work on a longer cable, and I like to do my imaging from my warm room some 7m away.

there are lots of laptops where the ZWO cameras won't work at all on the USB 3.0 chipsets present, I had a Lenovo one and it wouldn't work at all on that via USB 3 but was fine on USB 2.....

i now use an HP one and it works, but only up to 1.8m which is the supplied cable length that came with the camera, any longer and problems start, I even bought a 12v powered USB 3.0 hub, and still no good on lengths over 1.8m, contacted ZWO and they said that it was down to incompatibility issues with certain USB 3.0 chipsets.

so just because you have USB 3.0 don't assume that the ZWO cameras will work with them.... That's my experience anyway, and I don't think I am alone.

Cheers

Bill

That's annoying! I think I might want my money back! Your usb 3.0 obviously works with the camera - it just seems to be the cable, or cable + speed? Having said that, it's been mentioned that some (older) computers/laptops won't support the highest usb 3.0 data rates with longer cables even though they have usb 3.0 'compatible' ports. I guess you could experiment with slowing the usb 3.0 down to see what max speed is that you can get to work reliably though maybe life is too short!

Louise

I've tried 2 different 3m cables. Nada. I think the conclusion is a 2m limit, the length that zwo supply. Just keep my eye on the cable and run around the mount with the laptop when Scorpio is on the meridian! I wonder if there's a wireless camera dongle?

Archived